NCD and Home Chargers: Model Recommendations and L1 or L2?

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Dups88, Sep 8, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Dups88

Dups88 New Member

Hi,

We just leased a '19 Niro EV EX Pr last night, and we stop by the garage every couple of hours just to have a look. We've had hybrids since 2009, but this is our first BEV and we wanted to get some advice on home chargers. We aren't heavy car users - mostly local 20 mile round trips for groceries, pharmacy, etc., and a couple days a week it will likely just sit still. The garage backs up to the laundry/furnace room, so I think we've got electric power to spare nearby. Thank you for any suggestions on L1 v. L2, as well as recommended home charger brands/models that most electricians could install fairly easily. Heading back out to the garage...

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. CR EV

CR EV Active Member

I have had great results with Clipper Creek. US based, they actually answer questions and have had great reviews. https://www.clippercreek.com

jeff_h likes this.
  4. Robert Besen

Robert Besen Member

My 2020 US Niro EV Premium came with a level 1 (what Kia calls trickle) charger that plugs into a standard 120 volt outlet. It should give you at least 3 miles per hour of charge and if you only drive about 20 miles a day that should be enough. You could give it a try without spending any money and see if it works for you.

One caveat, though. Depending on your garage wiring and state of charge of the battery the charger might trip your gfci outlet. A nearby outlet inside the house should solve that if necessary.

Hope this helps.

5. Paul-ATL

Paul-ATL New Member

This may be an unusual POV, but I don’t think you need a charger except the one (“granny charger”) that comes with it. I bought an L2 charger (Clipper Creek, which I also recommend) and then sold it before having it installed. I drive a ton more mileage than you’re planning (8k since getting the car a few months ago) and I get by just fine without it. Charging every night with “granny” and using free public charging when I’m out and about has been enough.

6. CR EV

CR EV Active Member

Understood...for me, it was a matter of, well, if I took a big trip, I would be able to get the charge up more quickly at home than with the 'granny'

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CR EV

CR EV Active Member

Another thought, if you have a, say electric drier plug in said laundry room, you might be able to forgo the electrician and get a unit that plugs in there when you're not drying clothes.

9. Paul-ATL

Paul-ATL New Member

Do you have a level 3 charger anywhere near your house? You’ve got to fill up with that a lot of times for occasional long trips before you’ve spent what a good charger and electricians bill cost. The heart wants what it wants, so get the charger if you really want it. I’m several months in at this point, drive the thing on 250 mile trips 2-3 times a month (including today) and still haven’t needed a L2 home charger.

10. Dups88

Dups88 New Member

Thank you all for the thoughtful replies and for sharing your experiences. I'm glad that you've talked about the possibility of just sticking with "granny" here (L1) for awhile and seeing if that suits our needs. Based on your advice, I think that's how we'll start out and see if we need the faster turnaround option more often than we expect. So far, we're seeing about 5 miles/kWh driving around town (does that sound about right?), so if that holds up, we should be in good shape. Thanks again - this is really helpful.

11. Jim Colwell

Jim Colwell New Member

That's what I did, got a charge point charger that plugs into drier plug in garage and it's great.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Hedge

Hedge Member

What I really want is an adjustable amp level 1 and level 2 ESVE. I found some but they usually are lacking in some function or the plug is inconvenient. It would be nice if you could set the amps in the car like a tesla.

14. my openvvse charger lets you control charge rate

15. Hedge

Hedge Member

Is it portabl or a wall unit?

16. It's in a small metal box, I put a longer cable to the clothes dryer plug. Very portable.

[​IMG]

17. TandM

TandM Active Member

We have an adjustable portable L2 from Primecom (the newest ones adjust down to L1). Then we picked up an assortment of adaptors. Everything fits nicely above the spare tire kit in the foam divider layer under the floor of the trunk (including the trickle cord the Niro came with).

18. Dups88

Dups88 New Member

Following on the original post - thanks again to Robert and Paul for suggesting the stock L1 charger might be enough. So far, it fits the bill, and unless our driving habits undergo a big change, we'll probably hold off on stepping up to L2.

Paul-ATL likes this.
  19. Paul-ATL

Paul-ATL New Member

Glad it worked out - only suggested it because it did for me as well and we do a LOT of driving in the car. Our power is (nearly) free from 11pm-7am, yet with only 8 hours a night of "granny charging" we've been covered when sticking in town.

20. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

Many people can manage with a Level 1. I did that for about 2 years. Now I have decided to install a Level 2, because I am planning to buy a second car (Niro EV). Another factor is a tax credit that will expire on December 2020, so I want to do it this year in case it is not extended next year. I think installation and charger cost are qualified for this tax credit., but I am no tax expert, so do your own due diligence.

https://afdc.energy.gov/laws/10513

Paul-ATL likes this.
  21. Paul-ATL

Paul-ATL New Member

When to looked into it in Atlanta, the cost of using an electrician who was going to qualify me for the tax credit was more than doing the electrical myself (with the help of a friend) and not qualifying. Permitting was required, plus I think the electricians know you get the credit so they just mark it up. YMMV

22. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

I so a lot of DIY work at the home, but I don't like to alter electrical system, mainly for insurance reasons. But I agree if you can do it yourself it is cheaper than an electrician even with tax credit.

Paul-ATL likes this.