Navigation Update V 15 released today

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Tim94549, Apr 12, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Just checked the NAV Update site & saw that V 15 was just released for KONA 2019-2020. Downloading now ... Curious if anyone has actually installed it yet & whether any "surprises" of failure?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. If you can, can you post a pic of what the home screen looks like, and the radio screen, and what model you have (with nav, or not)?
    The August update had the 3 widgets on the 10 inch screen, and the November update destroyed the quality of use.

4. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

I did the update. Don't know if the Nav update did it or the recall update did it but much of the menu system is changed, moved or removed. The main menu has only 3 items to select. The charging menu is moved to a submenu under charging. The * on the right of the main screen now loads a sub pictorial of your energy usage such as motor, accessories and recharging. Lots of changes none improved that I saw.

5. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Yea, I installed it yesterday. Takes about 50 mins., not the 25 as stated at launch of the installation. The "3 Panel" issue is not fixed or reversed - still only 2. I *DID* notice that at Step 3 of the install, it said "UPDATING GPS" ..

Here is a link to all the specific Updates in this version: https://update.hyundai.com/US/EN/updateNoticeView/315?mode=admin_view

DaveO likes this.
  6. I haven’t installed any updates since getting the car. For the 10.25” screen does it still have the ‘split screen’ view? If not, we will probably never update!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

It has the split screen, but just 2 panels now. No longer the 3 since Nov 2020 update.

rizulli likes this.
  9. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

Just wondering if they disabled the ability to charge to 100%.

10. CaliKona

CaliKona New Member

I absolutely hate the update. I hate that we no longer have the option of a triple split-screen (my favorite view, previously...I never did the November update, so I've had it this whole time), and I hate how they've completely ruined the radio view. SiriusXM favorites (which I had to re-add, BTW) are now just a row of tiny buttons underneath an ugly anthropomorphic vaccum tube display, and it only shows the station numbers, not the names. I don't have the station numbers memorized, because I've never needed to. Every SiriusXM car display I've had for the past 10 years shows the name of the station, not just the station number. Stupid.

I also hate that pressing the home icon always brings you to the icon view of all the various options. (Can't seem to find where or even if it can be changed...) The only other option for the home screen, if you swipe right, is a mostly empty screen with the date and time. Total waste of space. I used to have the 3-panel view as my default home screen, and it was great. Now it's totally useless.

ehatch and Josh815 like this.
  11. CaliKona

CaliKona New Member

More detail, with screenshots!

Ok, first some good: they now have profiles, which is nice. You can link different bluetooth devices to each profile, have different radio presets, etc.

1-profiles.jpg

Ok, enough with the good...

This is the new default screen once you confirm. It's a whole lot of nothing:
    2-initial-screen.jpg

This is the default "Home" screen (which comes up when you press the home icon from any other screen). I can't find anywhere to change it to something else:
    3-default-home.jpg

The new radio screen. Notice the favorites/presents. Just station numbers, not station names. Useless! Also, I just noticed, the EV split screen on the right is showing my range in KM, no miles. I'm in the U.S. I went through every setting screen I could find, and don't see anywhere to change it. Guess I'll have to figure out how to map KM to miles in my head? Thanks, Hyundai!
    4-radio.jpg

Here's a part good, part bad. They added a "What's on" screen. Unfortunately, it only shows you a program list, not what's actually ON right now. In my 6 year old Audi A3, it showed exactly what song is playing at the moment...much more useful. This screen is a step in the right direction, but they fumbled it:
    5-whats-on.jpg

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Does this also apply to the 2019 models, or just the newest Konas?

14. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

I don't see profile screens like his but the radio stn screen is the same on my 19 but it is not split screen like his

15. CaliKona

CaliKona New Member

Might be because mine is an Ultimate, with the larger display? Not really sure. But, up until this update, I had the option of a 3-panel split screen, which was very useful. It's gone...This entire update is a huge step backward.

electriceddy likes this.
  16. Mine is the Ultimate, but only 2 screens in 2019. The newer screens are different/bigger.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  17. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

^^^^^ mine is an Ultimate but not the bigger screen though. Maps are still garbage but I use android auto for maps.

18. I haven't done an update for a while, but should soon, just to get the latest maps. I held off when I heard everyone complaining about the new retro look, and loss of some function. Does that also apply to the older 2019s?

19. I use HereWeGo and/or Sygic off line maps for many moons, the world over. The app the maps are free with regular updates. HereWeGo charges for the software I think EU10.00. Apple CarPlay works with both.

Now that Google opened Android Auto for third party apps Sygic works on Android Auto. Now they started to list EV mode and charge locations.

Why would anyone pay for car manufacturer's maps and often map updates puzzles me.

20. CaliKona

CaliKona New Member

The map updates are free.

electriceddy likes this.
  21. Not free for all cars. And in most cases you have to buy the top configuration, leather seat, sun roof etc.

You can also use the apps on you phone for city walking, planning your public transit to the museum from the hotel, etc. I have a long list of favourite locations, in several countries and many states, in my database. Try to do that with the GPS in your car GPS. :eek:

22. Update would be better if available as an optional (map only) or as a whole system change (if desired).
    Until then, I will enjoy my triple screen with the occasional wrong turn:oops:

mho, Bookbear, ehatch and 2 others like this.
  23. Exactly. OS changes should be independent of Data changes. I had a Tom Tom from 2008 that was updated till it died in 2019 because the company made nav data files using a standard that their software could read over a decade.... Microsoft 365 office software can open old 2003 files, etc..?

Bookbear and electriceddy like this.