My VW ID4 battery lost more than 50% of its available capacity !!! There is a significant glitch

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by regularevdad, Jun 30, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. regularevdad

regularevdad New Member

Let me explain, as you may be aware I took my ID4 from San Jose to NYC and back recently. Day 1 was fine. On day 2, while departing Green River, UT en route to Grand Junction, CO our SOC and GOM reading dived from 70 to 24% in a small number of miles. VW did not shine its self in glory - the SOS team was worthless, and my dealer has still not returned my calls. That said, VW has now (several weeks later) escalated the issue, and the car will be going in for an evaluation. Everyone was safe, we made it, but you can learn about it, and more importantly, see the data (I love @EVnotify) here in the video. The full EP2 Roadtrip video will post at the weekend. Thank you to VW for getting involved, it is appreciated - oh, and I love this car so much it's weird.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I found this interesting

Question ... as far as I could determine, all "data" presented was from the EVNotify app. (please correct if my understanding is flawed)

However, that region indeed defines "DESOLATE" and I'm sure mobile connectivity is "spotty" (evidence the SOS failures)

Do we know how the app "handles" comms losses?

Apps are commonly written by software developers in a lab w/ "perfect" comms; they might perform well for 95% of the users, but don't necessarily perform well in "dynamically-changing and highly-variable" field conditions. (and some might fail abysmally)

Could loss of comms be a contributor to the apparently (at least to me) erroneous data which was logged?

ADDITIONALLY:

It wasn't clear to me from the video what the ID4's installed driver's display was indicating?

Did it's display correlate w/ the app? (i.e. did it too reflect the substantial loss - and recoup - of remaining range?)

(or did I just miss it ?)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  4. regularevdad

regularevdad New Member

Hi - great questions. No comms issues, this was all over bluetooth direct to the BMS. And yes the BMS and the Display SOC both went nuts. It wasnt clear from the video, but on two occasions I did double check in the "charging" screen. The SOS failure was a completely differnt issue. That was the fact that I dont have that service - I also didnt know that service was a paid for service. Or I would have paid .

5. Thank you for the reply and the added clarification.

6. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

Looking forward to hearing VW's assessment of and response to your situation

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. DAVID DRUMMOND

DAVID DRUMMOND New Member

We bought our ID4 on June 24th this year. We thought it would be a fun road trip car to take to San Diego from Phoenix area and stop in Yuma. We have had nothing but trouble charging at the Electrify America station in Chandler and Tempe. Out of maybe 12 or 15 times to the station (we were out of town in July) all but 1 of them had had issues and I had to call into the support team. Each time they are able to get me going, sometimes it's a 5 minute hold and once it was 20 minutes. The station is 3 miles from our house. It has been hot here in Arizona of course. They like to blame the heat. It has been as hot as 111 when I tried a couple times and I was sweating because this station has no shade whatsoever. The nozzles were so hot yesterday I had to drop it like a hot potato. Most times we had to move from pump 1 to another pump because it shuts off. It has been so frustrating. Luckily I only work part time. This would not be good for someone on a tight work schedule. Today it started out charging at 125 kwh and within a few minutes it was down to 33. I called in and leave comments and they say they are putting in a work order. Seeing that it happened at a different station this weekend, I would say it might be the car. I called my service advisor and he wants me to leave the car in for 5 days. We were wanting to use the free 3 year charging, but this has been ridiculous wasting sometimes 1 to 1.5 hours to get a partial charge enough to get by. I have been to the station 3 days in a row. I hope they make it right. We are looking at home chargers also.