My Home EVSE Stopped Working

Discussion in 'General' started by Clamps, Jan 19, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Last summer I purchased the ChargePoint Home Flex and installed it some time in late August. Only used it a handful of times and after returning home from abroad last week I noted the status light was flashing. Tried to access app and it said it was offline and I could not get it to reconnect. Contacted a rep and he tried to help me remotely but was unable to restart system.

His solution was to submit a ticket to the higher ups which usually results in sending out a new unit. He told me process takes about a week to receive replacement. I asked if they would pay for the electrician to reinstall and he essentially said no by stating I could do it myself.

Should find out sometime tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Since everything is installed already, replacing shouldn't be a big issue. Obviously make sure the circuit breaker is pulled, but then these units are usually pretty easy to connect/disconnect. I'd assume a screwdriver is all you're going to need.

Clamps likes this.
  4. Yes, that’s what the rep said, turn to screws and replace. Still have not heard back from ChargePoint in regards if they will replace.

5. I heard back from ChargePoint. So this is the info they want you to gather before sending a replacement EVSE for broken equipment:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Based on the troubleshooting performed, we can move toward replacing the charger for you. In order to do so, please provide the following information.

1: Pictures of the station:

Powered on:

• 1 Picture of the station mounted on the wall.
    • 1 Picture of the indicator lights on the left hand side of the station.
    • 1 Picture of the charging handle from each side profile.
    • 1 Picture of the charge handle inside the plug.
    • 1 Picture of the Breaker panel pointing out the specific breaker dedicated to the charging station.
    Powered off:

• 1 Picture of the station MAC Address located under the front cover on a QR Code Sticker ( usually begins with 0024: ).
      • The front cover faceplate can be removed by pulling from the bottom.
    • 1 Picture ( close up ) of the wiring in the station ( take off the access panel with the two flat head screws on it ).

2: Proof of Purchase:
    • Showing ( Name, Address it was/can be shipped to, Model Purchased, Amount Paid, Cord Length )

3: Address Verification ( Please make sure the listed info below is correct ):

----------------------------------------------------------------

Quite a few hoops considering their rep diagnosed it was a failed unit remotely.

6. Your photography skills should be greatly improved once these processes are completed:D
    Hopefully the new replacement unit (not rebuild) works and they include a preprinted (and prepaid shipping) return label in the new box.

Clamps likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Good to know in their reply to my info that it will be a brand new replacement. Also happy with their very quick response. Just hope the new unit will be more reliable.

electriceddy likes this.
  9. I received my replacement EVSE yesterday and installed today. Esprit was correct, replacing was easy. I had one issue, disconnecting the charge cable but eventually figured it out. Interestingly the new EVSE was just the box, I had to move the 18ft cable from the old unit to the new one. That part was a bit fidgety but it worked. They did give me a shipping label to return. All in all it was an easy-ish process minus the photo montage procedure it also took a bit longer to receive the replacement than I was told. I had to call to track down my new EVSE and they were all apologetic and said it would be a week longer after call.

electriceddy and Esprit1st like this.
  10. Kind of surprised Chargepoint sent the replacement unit without the J1772 connector and cord which adds a bit to the replacement labor but I suppose it saves on shipping costs. Not withstanding, it probably was not worn or defective given the little use. Hope the new one works trouble free for a some what longer period than your original one.;)

mho and Clamps like this.