My experience with the ECO mode speed limiter

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Genevamech, Dec 3, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

Since I got the car I've been using ECO mode with a speed limit set to 75MPH. It's rare that I get a chance to safely and comfortably go that fast anyway.

Today I had a chance, and here's how it works!

The ECO mode speed limiter is not a hard limit on your speed. If you are on a downhill, for example, it's entirely possible to exceed the setting. Instead, it creates a plateau in the throttle response, nullifying the accelerator input when at or above the set speed. Pushing on the pedal will not cause further energy use, and no acceleration.

Unless - and here's the important part - you get the pedal all the way to the floor. Once you go full throttle, the speed limiter is temporarily overridden and you will get full power. This was pretty jarring - it's almost like launch control but at highway speeds. That was the hardest I've ever accelerated in this vehicle to date, and I was already doing 75MPH!

So yeah, ECO mode's speed limit will make it super easy to maintain a max speed without relying on cruise control, but have no fear: If you need to get out of the way in a hurry, the power is still there if you're brave enough to floor it.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Interesting. Thanks.

4. The 2018 EU manual both printed and PDF mistakenly refers to Comfort mode having the speed limit.
    The override also applies to the speed limit mode in cruise control but it's worded as being imposed after 70% pedal. Not sure if it acts the same or is less sudden.

upload_2020-12-4_13-2-23.png

upload_2020-12-4_13-6-21.png

electriceddy likes this.
  5. You did excellent research, thanks for that! :)

KiwiME likes this.
  6. Always something new to discover with this car, thanks for the confirmation with your test run:)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Yeah, I discovered that early on -- it can be quite the surprise. My limiter has basically been
    on 70 the whole time; if I need [?] to go any faster I'll pop into another driving mode so I
    keep better linear control.

_H*

electriceddy likes this.