My 2021 MINI SE .... the project has started....

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Tifosi, Mar 18, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tifosi

Tifosi Active Member

Ok, some history. I no longer work in the industry, but for 15 years I owned and ran a large tuning/racing shop/manufacturer for aftermarket parts for BMW, Mercedes and Ferrari. After that I ran large sales divisions for Cosworth, Magnaflow and K&N. So... I am kind of an aftermarket guy! lol Meaning, I cannot leave any car alone!

The MINI replaced an i3, which was great... but boring. This one is not boring, I love it. It is my daily to the office. Have a very custom e46 M3c (magazine and SEMA car) and a Q7 that was my daily. But at gas being over $4/g in the US at the moment, it just makes sense to drive electric. But that doesnt mean "drive boring!" I hate tesla and have have many BMW's, so MINI it was!

Here is the car as delivered last weekend:
    [​IMG]
    2021 MINI SE Iconic, Moonwalk/Black, all the black trim possible from factory.

Today it was tinted:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Much better!

I have a long list of parts already ordered and will post updates with part #s and the best prices I find as I go!

I know not all want to play with or mod this little "appliance" - but it is in my blood and I cannot help myself!!! lol

Thanks
    Brad

Martha, Texas22Step, stw203 and 6 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

It looks great! Congratulations. What will be your first mod effort? More blacking out of trim?

4. Tifosi

Tifosi Active Member

Yep, here is what is already on order:
    • black front and rear light trims
    • black grill surround
    • Eibach springs
    • Outmotoring Black beltline kit
    • black alum valve stem caps
    • carbon key fob to replace the huge round thing!
    • Thule bike racks
    Here is what is next for sure:
    • Smoked front and rear LED marker lights (replace the ones in the fenders)
    • clear dynamic LED side turn signal
    • black out the chrome on the front and side E logo's
    • Smoked rear lower fogs
    • Black alum license plate frame
    Here is what is "maybe":
    • Black led taillights
    • 18" wheels
    I am sure there will be more, but that is the plan I have at the moment. =)

Thanks
    Brad

MichaelC, Lainey and GvilleGuy like this.
  5. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

Cool, what bike rack did you get? I've been using a generic hatch-mounted rack.

6. Tifosi

Tifosi Active Member

I ordered the car with the flush rails just for this purpose. I am on the MTB as much as possible.

I ordered the THULE setup with the aerobar. Once I get it and install and all is well, I will post part#'s and pics.

thanks
    Brad

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Enjoy your new ride! I'm taking mine tomorrow to get quotes to paint the grille. Have vinyl to cover the yellow plugs. Thinking of keeping the chrome though. Fun planning changes isn't it?

9. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

Gotcha, I look forward to seeing it. I am also a MTBer in the summer.

I shied away from roof racks cuz I was worried about the impact on range, I'll be interested to hear if you notice any impact. I'd say with the bike on the rear rack I get roughly a 10% reduction in range, with mostly freeway driving, so there's not a drastic impact. I've thought about getting a tow hitch, but it's $280 for a piece of metal and you gotta cut a hole in the nice smooth bumper.

10. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I ordered factory roof rails and cross bars, and I'm going to try the Yakima Highroad wheel-on. For my travel distances with bikes, range reduction will not be an issue.

AlphabetCity98 likes this.
  11. Tifosi

Tifosi Active Member

Yup, fun indeed. I HATE anything chrome. So for me it is non-negotiable to remove it all! lol

Well for me, having the ability to use the Mini to get to the trails rather than always using the Audi was key. Also, I commute 12 miles each way. Range isnt something I care about. I use Sport mode and drive aggressively and use 25-30% a day. No reason to worry in my use case.

I did not like the colors or look of the factory bars. I have and Thule for 30+ years on all my cars, I guess I am loyal to them!

I also use Kuat Trio racks for the bikes. Best fork mounted rack around IMHO! I am always freaked out about wheel-on racks. They just dont look as solid to me - but I think that is my issue not the racks! lol

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. hanyoung99

hanyoung99 New Member

Tifosi - can't wait to see what your Mini looks like! Would love to mod mine when I get it (ie coilovers, defeat traction control, etc.) Would you mind sharing your dealership info? I'm in Tucson and looking to see who would be best to deal with. Also, what trim did you get, why, and what price? Thanks so much!

14. Tifosi

Tifosi Active Member

I dealt with the team at Scottsdale MINI and they were great. I worked with Dave Stinson (you can use my name). He was great. The manager there is Travis, who is also great.

I ordered it with Iconic as I wanted the better interior and screen. It was 42K out the door with all the options, tax and license. Financed at $0 down and 2.9%. $7500 tax credit will be used for this tax year. So net it was $35K. Cannot beat that IMHO!

15. Tifosi

Tifosi Active Member

So... Some updates, pics will come soon once a few more things are installed! (click the links to see the best pricing I could find)
    More parts incoming! Will post updates as they arrive and are installed with some pics.

The biggest decision was wheels, and I ordered 18x8 XXR 527's in Black
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    Super excited to see this move along!

Ketos, MichaelC and Lainey like this.
  16. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Your SE is going to look great!

I see most (all?) of your parts are focused on appearance (and the bike rack for utility). Any thoughts on updates to "add lightness"?

17. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

What are your plans for the actual grille? Or did I miss that?

I have an appointment later this month to wrap mine. If I like the color I'll eventually have it painted.

18. Tifosi

Tifosi Active Member

Thanks. Nope, don't care about weight. I have faster and lighter cars for the weekend and or track. This is my daily commuter and its plenty quick for that purpose.

This car stock looks like every other MINI - I have spent 20+ years (prior life) in the auto aftermarket and every car I have ever owned has been customized. I cannot leave them alone. lol. I want it to be unique and reflect my style.

I was going to go black, but on the moonwalk, the slight different gray actually looks good to me with the black surround. So I am going to leave it. Vinyl wont hold up here in the heat (it shrinks) and paint will chip way too easily (been down that road with others cars). If you dont live where its "surface of the sun" hot like I do, then Vinyl is a good solution!

Thanks
    brad

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  19. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Makes sense and I do think it looks pretty decent on the moonwalk gray. Not so much on the others.
    It's only super hot a few months here a year and I get the garage. I am kind of doing it to make sure I like what I've chosen too. Going a bit more out there with this over the top vinyl I have nail polish similar that I adore. Yep sparkles and out loud are for me lol

I will see how I feel with it and the chrome. All the bright yellow plugs and my boot handle are being done too. I'm going in steps. If I dislike the chrome, I'll get parts to replace it instead of wrapping.

20. Tifosi

Tifosi Active Member

That vinyl will either work perfect with your Green or be horrible! lol. Likely no in between. I love that you are trying something unique! That will be cool to do the yellow with it too! Like the staged approach!

21. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I did order a similar sample and tried it out with about 20 minutes of work and a crappy exacto knife. So I think I'll like it. I wanted to see before I let professionals do it.

View attachment 11168

22. Tifosi

Tifosi Active Member

I like it. I mean, its not for everyone, but it works on that color scheme and especially if you have matching nails! lol

Lainey likes this.
  23. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Yeah definitely not for everyone! Is seriously would have a whole car that way but I'm nuts. This at least will get me through a few years before I decide if I want a paint job or not. But also gets rid of the gray on the green. Why they didn't do black, I'll never understand.