Model 3 charging in cold weather

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by bwilson4web, Dec 14, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Ordinarily I would not watch but this was well done:

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. dBdt

dBdt Member

Does preconditioning affect the battery lifetime? Most of our trips short, local trips that are nowhere near the range limit of the vehicle. We can hop into the car with 25% SOC and have no worries. We just jump in, no preconditioning. Could this affect total lifetime (years / charge cycles / miles) of the vehicle?

4. bwilson4web

Since preconditioning is part of the Tesla battery management system, I suspect it has beneficial effects that would not 'age' the battery.

Bob Wilson

Urbanengineer likes this.
  5. dBdt

dBdt Member

I think you may have misunderstood the sign of my question. The question is whether skipping the preconditioning negatively affects lifetime.

6. bwilson4web

Then run the experiment and let us know. I noticed 2170 cells are available on eBay.

Buy some and benchmark their performance. Set up test boxes capable of charge-discharge at different temperatures. Run a statistically significant number of cycles with and without preconditioning temperature profiles recording the data and then repeat the benchmark. I look forward to your results.

You might do a Google Scholar search:
    There may be other papers relevant to your question. But you'll get a faster, more accurate answer by doing the experiment.

Now there is a distinct operational scenario problem. To disable preconditioning, the driver would always have to navigate near the SuperCharger, not to the SuperCharger. For example, there is a SuperCharger in Athens AL; (1) navigate to SuperCharger, or; (2) navigate to "Fairfield Inn & Suites". To defeat preconditioning, the driver must find and enter an alternate address near every target SuperCharger ... EVERY TIME!
    athens.jpg

Another approach would be to find a lawyer who will sue Tesla to make preconditioning optional. You'll also need to find a professional engineer as a witness for the trial who will testify 'preconditioning' wears out your Tesla battery.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
    Urbanengineer likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.