Mode change not available

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by The Gadgeteer, Apr 19, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

This morning while driving to work I received an error saying changing to Sport mode was not available when I pressed the Sport mode button while going around a curve.
    A little testing on a road with a couple of S turns I notice was able to change modes on the straightaway parts but not during curves.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

There is probably a software glitch that prevents you from pushing buttons while your car is sliding sideways. Go figure! :cool:

4. The Gadgeteer

Perhaps it is a safety “feature” to encourage me to keep both hands on the steering wheel when zip zagging through S turns.
    Anyway am I the first to encounter this? Can anyone else reproduce?

5. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I had to search through 34 pages of Indicator explanations but I think I found it on p 110. At least that’s the only one that seemed to fit.

Drive Mode Change Unavailable
    Appears if the drive mode can not be changed due to certain conditions, such as a system error or adverse driving conditions. (emphasis added)

Man, this car has more warning indicators, verbal messages, settings, modes, displays, and menu choices than you can shake a stick at!!

I may have to change my car’s name to HAL, XD1 (the Discovery) or maybe Stanley (Kubrick) since the Odyssey is already taken. Hmm...then I’d have to change the pedestrian alert to Strauss’ By the Beautiful Blue Danube.
    Gotta go rewatch 2001:A Space Odyssey tonight!

insightman likes this.
  6. PascoClarity

PascoClarity New Member

Since "Odyssey" is already taken, you could use "Oddity" seams to fit.

MPower and KentuckyKen like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I likely! Fits the car and the driver for me.

9. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

Gadgeteer

Doesn't surprise me. I've noticed on the Subaru I drive and the Clarity one cannot "resume" speed if on ACC when in curve.

In other words...depressing brakes disengages ACC like it is designed...like when entering sharp curve one slows down...hitting resume will not increase speed untill steering wheel is returned close to straight (0).

My guess is certain actions are sensitive to steering wheel location relative to 0... probably a percentage "off center" which the car reads as "dangerous to do right now" as it were.

10. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

It would be cool if it would say "Sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Daniel M W and ClarityDoc like this.
  11. The Gadgeteer

That was the message. Mind you I was carving some S turns when it flashed on the screen so I was deliberately not trying to quote it exactly.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

You're supposed to have your phone in hand to take pictures while you watch the road! :p

14. stacey burke

stacey burke Active Member

If you are in EV mode and keep you foot on the gas.. do not press down more or let up, and you go into sport there is a noticeable increase in speed. If you are going around a sharp curve and press sport it could drive you right off the road. I'm sure that is why it is programed that way, and it is not a glitch...

Walt R likes this.
  15. dnb

dnb Active Member

I've had the same issue as I was trying to swap while on an on ramp to the freeway. On a ~270* turn

Its because the accelerator amount changes between econ, normal, and sport. So they don't want you to suddenly "gun it" just by changing the mode and end up spinning out.

For instance if you are going say 30 on econ and change to sport mode the same pedal position will now bump you to say 40 mph (made up numbers). So they don't want you to do that in a turn and end up crashing :)

MPower and Walt R like this.
  16. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Can you switch from SPORT Mode to ECON Mode in a turn? If so, then the "prevent-unintended-acceleration" theory going from ECON to SPORT would seem correct. If not, then the "prevent-any-messing-around-in-a-corner" theory might hold water.