Mirror Damage Caution

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by David Towle, Oct 11, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

I squeeze my Clarity into a small 2 car garage, and of course I get the right hand spot which is furthest from the door. So when I go in I try to just barely miss hitting the mirror on the door frame and other impediments on the way in (anybody on that side has to get out before I pull in). Going in if I'm in a hurry and I bump the mirror it just flops over so OK.

However yesterday I got slightly out of position and hit the mirror pulling out. The way its designed the body color mirror cover sticks out well beyond the black frame around the mirror. (My other car is not like this) If I had been far enough off to hit the black frame the mirror would have just pivoted back, but I wasn't that far off and it knocked the body color part and the camera off the mirror. It looks like the camera mount is damaged as I can't get it to reseat. The body color piece popped back on ok.

Next time I bring it in I'll complain about the camera view and see if they can fix it.

So just a warning to be cautious backing up in tight spaces. My previous car had electric pivoting mirrors which made this much easier.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. "Next time I bring it in I'll complain about the camera view and see if they can fix it."

...or level with the service tech and see if they can help you.
    I suspect that the cause of the view problem will be pretty clear once they dig into it.

David Towle likes this.
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

Same here.

But there should not be a reason to hit it on the way back out. Why? Well, as I tell the rest of my family, "Don't touch the steering wheel when reversing out." and the vehicle will track the exact same path it took coming in and thus will miss hitting the garage.

insightman likes this.
  5. Yes and no. When I pull in I come in at an angle then turn the wheels to straighten out. If I then back out without turning the wheels I'm going to hit something.

insightman likes this.