Minimum Possible Power at which an EV can charge

Discussion in 'General' started by rgg, Jan 25, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. rgg

rgg New Member

I am trying to find some information about the minimum power at which EVs can charge. I am aware of the acceptance rate, onboard chargers, and that at L1 the car usually draws 1.4KWh, at Level 2 it draws between 6.6 and 7.2 KWh or 3.3 KWh if that is what the acceptance rate is.

My question is, can EVs charge if the grid only provides 0.9KWh or 0.5KWh, even though it would be slow?

I have noticed numbers of less than 1KWh on my Honda Clarity's Chargepoint App at the end of charging sessions when the battery is full.

Any pointers and links would be greatly appreciated.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I've never seen how low it can go, but my MINI Cooper SE manual indicates 6 A as lowest on 120 V, which would be 0.72 kW. It doesn't say it can't go lower, but that's the lowest documented value. At some point the overhead of Level 1 charging is going to be greater than the draw, resulting in a charge rate of 0.

rgg, bwilson4web and GetOffYourGas like this.
  4. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

What puppethead said. That lower limit is going to vary from EV to EV. My old leaf had an overhead of roughly 300W. I’ve heard Teslas can have closer to 1kW overhead, especially at low temperatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

rgg likes this.
  5. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

Minimum current for iec61851/ j1772 is 6A. The standard tells the car to refuse charge if told less than that. Minimum voltage is usually 85V.

So, 510W through J1772

rgg likes this.
  6. rgg

rgg New Member

Thank you all! Appreciate the answers.

7. To remove this ad click here.