MINI Cooper SE track review

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Domenick, Dec 3, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Out of Spec has, on its reviews channel, put out a video featuring the MINI Cooper SE on a track. Now, the electric MINI isn't engineered for the track, but check out the video and see how it deals with the heat that running hard creates.

Lainey and GvilleGuy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

What eco-tires are on this test car? My Hankook Ventus S1 EVO3 tires aren't eco-tires. The Goodyear tires on the New Jersey cars lent to other journalists and video bloggers haven't been eco-tires, either.

polyphonic and Lainey like this.
  4. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I was wondering about the tires too. I have yet to see any reviews or comments about them using eco tires unless someone installed a set for range test reasons.

5. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Is the EVO3 a runflat on the 16” wheels?

6. insightman

Unlike other MINI Coopers, I don't believe the factory fits runflat tires to any MINI Cooper SE cars. The EVO3 tires came on the 17" Power Spoke rims on my Iconic SE. I purchased some used 16" Loop Spoke rims from Germany (from a vendor who sells lots of MINI rims on ebay) and they had some used Hankook EVO2 tires (not runflats) on them before I put on the Michelin X-Ice winter tires.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

My experience with runflats are that they are quite noisy, which would be very noticeable in the silent SE. As much as I like them, I went with standard Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 for my snow tires (still waiting for wheels to mount them on).

9. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I swapped out my runflats on my current Mini. The ride is louder and rougher than not. They also suck on potholes. I lost 1 within the first year. When I lost a second one a year later and had to limp my car to get the tire changed, I got rid of them. I'll never go back. They seem good in idea, but not a fan.

insightman likes this.
  10. KyleConner

KyleConner New Member

I can't remember what tire was specced for this press car exactly but I can say there was very little grip with them. Pretty good rolling resistance too as we took it on a road trip and it's the same car we did our 70mph highway range test on

Lainey likes this.
  11. insightman

AFAIK, the MINI Cooper SE with license plate U22 LXN was fitted with Goodyear Eagle F1s Asymmetric 3 rubber, a max-performance summer tire. Perhaps the other journalists wore them out.

Domenick likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Isn't it crazy how that one NJ-plated car gets around? Either it is racking up miles quite quickly, or they use a transporter to move it from state to state.

Wouldn't it be fun to spot it out on the road?

14. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

I finally got a chance to watch this actual video. I will probably never hit the track with my SE. although occasionally my alma mater has a track day at Watkins Glen for alumni, and that would be very tempting. But auto cross is far more likely. And backroad driving is a given.

On that note, he made a comment about backroad driving. Namely that the car does overheat on a hard track run but he didn’t think it would with spirited backroad driving. Anyone here have any direct experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs