mini cooper se parking brake not engaged automatically

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Tony Peng, Sep 19, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tony Peng

Tony Peng New Member

Does anyone know how to set the parking brake to engage automatically every time mini se put to “P” to prevent the car from “shaking” after release the brake paddle after put to “p”?

I looked thought the manual but only find it says “In some parking situations, the parking brake is automatically en-gaged, when selector lever position P is engaged.”

Not only it never happen to my se 2023, but I also prefer to have it always automatically engaged when put to “p”.

Please help, thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

4. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Not only read manual but go to a car and play with a stick I went to my car right now to see what you talking about bc I have 6 years experience with I 3 I realy don’t pay attention what you describe bc I do all automatically but any time on my slopes down driveway I put put SE in park a brakes automatically apply but as I’m in garage on flat floor I apply a brakes by myself bc they don’t engage automatically but as you know with ACE cars P hold your car on place and not so many people apply a brakes when they park cars with automatic transmission

Tony Peng likes this.
  5. Tony Peng

Tony Peng New Member

Thank you. I’ll test it on the slope next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

The car will put itself into park when you turn it off, so I would recommend setting the brake instead of hitting P. Then the parking brake will always be on.

SameGuy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    What’s wrong with just setting the brake? It’s not like some 1988 Belarus farm tractor with a lever that needs Popeye’s arm to engage.

CrazyLegs17 and revorg like this.
  9. CoachCookie

CoachCookie Active Member

I agree, it definitely makes it feel like something is wrong when the vehicle holds itself on a slight slope. Then when hitting the Park button it loses that hold and rocks back and forth. Unpopular opinion on here, but something else Tesla does better...

Tony Peng likes this.
  10. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Might be nice if the park function did all of this automatically as the OP suggests, but I like having the option. As was discussed in the previous post Tesla can do this automatically if you hold down the P button, and I believe they also use it for their one-pedal driving system (to hold the car at stops). They certainly have a lot of nice quality-of-life tech integrations.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    CoachCookie likes this.
  11. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Tesla certainly has quite advanced software, which MINI is behind on. On the other hand, Tesla has things like a yoke steering wheel and that forsaken touch screen for all controls, which research has shown is subpar compared to knobs and switches like the SE has.

SameGuy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

I mean, I’m driving MINIs. That shouldn’t preclude discussing the things other manufacturers might do better. The MINI interior, steering wheel, and controls are also vastly superior to the Porsche I just traded for our second SE.

SameGuy likes this.
  14. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Hey, I think the Bolt EUV — especially at the new US price — is one of the best deals on any new vehicle you can buy. While it truly can’t compare to the SE on materials, fit, finish, NVH, pilot’s seating position, driving dynamics, and so much more, the regen paddle is so intuitive and easy to use, it takes the blessing that is one-pedal driving and makes it as flexible as can be.

Both the 451 and 453 versions of the smart fortwo electric retained the dual paddles of the ICE models, and it was even more intuitive, affecting the regen almost exactly like a sequential gearbox. It should’ve been simple to repurpose the MCS/JCW paddle hardware to have more interactive regen control in our cars.

polyphonic likes this.
  15. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I have interactive regen on my Honda Clarity PHEV, but I prefer the strongest regen setting on my SE. It's simple and provides all the flexibility I desire. I really appreciate the coasting zone between power and regen.

SameGuy likes this.
  16. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

0878ACBA-E647-404A-8B40-F11ED9FEEF67.jpeg 6EB8550F-9876-4758-AD7D-45DB10E41783.jpeg E2CBD058-B20C-4BA7-A0D1-F4B4FCB2A312.jpeg E2CBD058-B20C-4BA7-A0D1-F4B4FCB2A312.jpeg
    You can’t compare Porsche cars with longer history than Minis to a basic transportation as Minis once I went for BMW I3 7 years ago and now SE for 9 months I sold my 911 and 944 to experience EV drive as 72 years young .Porsches are in class on their own .Bc I’m snob too a cars as Kona or a Joniq Tesla I take Tycan with 200 miles range before any EV on a market for service availability and a class of all finishes quality Porsche provide and 911 will be a last car they build as EV bc is demand so big with gasoline engine for this iconic Porsche 911 for so many snobs around .