Mini Cooper SE owners urged to trade in for new models to boost used EV inventory

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by fishbert, Jun 5, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/mini-cooper-se-owners-urged-183207661.html

"The fact that I have to do a campaign to convince people to bring their cars back is indicative of the times we’re living in," McKenna [head of Mini USA Marketing, Product and Strategy] said. "We have a drought of used cars from a manufacturer's standpoint ... on both the internal combustion side and the EV side."
    Of the 8,000 EVs Mini has sold to date, about 1,500 are the 2020 and 2021 model years, which McKenna hopes to add to used inventory.
    "As the next generation Mini EV hardtop is still pending final confirmation for the U.S. market, it is too early to confirm a date for market launch at this time," McKenna said.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
    endquote likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. fishbert

Me just now: "Huh, 'Paging Detroit' ... I wonder what that thread is about" ... *click* ... oh, ok.

4. DJCoopster

DJCoopster Well-Known Member

To me, this reads more like they want to sell you a new vehicle now to make some money and sell your trade-in to make some money.

They are trying to spin it a different way, for me it seems they are just trying to increase some foot traffic/sales to help through the lull between the current and next generation cars.

5. fishbert

What's the spin? That seemed the obvious reading to me... it's even explicitly stated: "For Mini, another reason to want used EVs in stock is to assure dealers have EVs to offer customers if there are any production delays as Mini rolls out new EVs."

It's clearly a forward-thinking attempt to keep existing customers with the brand (2000/2001 Cooper SE buyers might start looking for something new right when MINI doesn't have a new Cooper EV to sell them), while juicing the used Cooper SE market (because pretty soon that's all they'll have). ... And yes, to make some money (their literal job).

6. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

This type of campaign isn't anything new. We've been getting things in the mail from MINI for at least a decade about how our used MINI is in high demand, blah blah blah.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

I wish they'd stop sending me offers for 'bargain' oil change deals.

insightman likes this.
  9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Reading the alarming Gear Reduction Oil Change thread in the InsideEVs Hyundai Kona Electric forum, I believe owners of those cars would be overjoyed to receive a 'bargain' oil change deal.

MichaelC likes this.