Mini Cooper SE gets "Green Urban Car of the Year" award

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by GvilleGuy, Nov 12, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

SmartElectric, polyphonic and Lainey like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that! This should be a great urban and even suburban dweller.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Here's the Green Journal page with the awards. The MINI Cooper SE doesn't get top billing, but it's above a Toyota minivan, a Jeep and the F-150. Here's what it says about the best car on the list:

Taking top honors for 2021 Urban Green Car of the Year is the all-electric MINI Cooper SE. Standing out as an ideal vehicle for the city, the Cooper SE is compact in stature and big on features. Its represents what this brand all about: An iconic look, great maneuverability, and driving fun wrapped in a small package. Plus, electric power means zero localized emissions and no trips venturing out to the gas station in a crowded urban environment.

5. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

The only issue with the SE in a truly urban environment is access to charging. If you live in an high-rise in the middle of Manhattan, it may be great to drive an SE around. But how on earth do you charge it? At least with a gas car, you just go to any gas station.
    I know this is improving, particularly outside of the US. But over hear, living with an EV if you don't have access to home charging is not for the faint of heart!

insightman and GvilleGuy like this.
  6. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Charging Stations. There are a bunch near my main office in NYC though the reality is NYC is an extreme urban scenario. Those who live in the city don't drive around the city. They will take their cars elsewhere that they can charge while shopping or the like. Even those who live in boroughs often do not drive in. My boss has a Tesla. He often bikes in (took public transport prior to covid). He'll charge at home because get far enough out from the main part of the city, they have the means.

I live in a city just outside a major city. I'll drive it into the city but charge at home, Whole Foods or shopping areas that both offer free charging.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

In my major metro region (3.6 million people) there are a huge number of public chargers scattered throughout, and quite a few free to use. I had no trouble charging each day before I got my Level 2 EVSE installed. It was during summer, though, so the hassle factor was low.

9. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I have mine installed to get the tax credit, but I have 2 free stations about a block from me. My friend and neighbor uses both often. Free ones at my favorite mall. Decent priced ones at my dentist. They are everywhere I go. Even at grocery stores

GetOffYourGas and electriceddy like this.
  10. GetOffYourGas

Your boss is an exception. Many people in NYC don't even own a car! Those that do, park them where they are able.

11. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Not where he lives. They all have carports and such, you assumed something I never said and truthfully I don't appreciate the tone in your reply. You asked where they could charge - the 22% of those in Manhattan own cars (that's Manhattan only, there are many areas that go into NYC who do not live in the cityĺ. There are charge stations everywhere if one enjoys driving in the city lol. All this to say again NYC an extreme urban environment. I never drive into the city myself. Parking is costly. I stay in midtown near the office and walk or take the subway. There are many other real urban environments this car does absolutely work. Even my local friends in apartments with EVs find ways. Even have a friend with a Fiat EV in an apartment no carport even. We all find ways. I have 2 free chargers 2 blocks from my home. No, not NYC, but NYC isn't the only city. Having lived rather globally myself, there are tons of places this works.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. GetOffYourGas

I apologize for the tone, it really wasn't intended.

My original comment was about Manhattan, and not the other four boroughs. As you said, only 22% of those living in Manhattan own cars. Of those who I know personally living in Manhattan, only one owns a car, and he is of the wealthy class (not all NYers are), and keeps his car parked at his other home in Connecticut.

So while I don't live in Manhattan, I know many who do. And obviously others here have different experiences than my friends and family.

14. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

No worries, text can be tough to read and I likely did, which I apologize for too.

I do have a lot of connections with the city through work and even my spouse's (though they're LI). I do know some in the upper parts of Manhattan that have street parking for cars (think not far from Columbia) and they likely would be the owners too. Of course I have friends in the suburbs of CT for NYC ;) it does amaze me how many charging stations there are in midtown area. Other parts of the city and the 'burbs would likely not drive in much, but they are there if they need.

I love it there, but glad to be where I am. Cities here are much more tolerable in terms of how long it takes to get around. I'm even happy driving in Chicago or DC, but NYC is a big nope.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  15. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

On top of all that, it is a lot easier to add charging stations to a parking garage compared to adding a gas station to an urban city block.

Lainey likes this.
  16. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

So many banks, office buildings, malls, add them to their parking garages or lots. Whole Foods too. Many are free here