Mileage range at full charge

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Chicago Ken, Dec 22, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Chicago Ken

Chicago Ken New Member

At full charge, how many files does range show in sport mode? Is anyone seeing 110 or over?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DisgruntledSanta

DisgruntledSanta Active Member

I am not sure I have ever seen 110mi on my GOM in any mode… gosh darn it if I ever get under that though, doubly so around town.

Most of the time (in green mode on the summer tires in 40ish weather), I get 115mi-130mi of real range, traveling almost exclusively at 70-75mph.

Granted, I only have 800mi on my mini, so YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Sport mode (theoretically) doesn't make any difference to range/efficiency. All it does is change the accelerator pedal mapping and the steering weight so if you have good foot control, it can be just as efficient as green mode.

As most people here eventually figure out, the GoM is terrible and is a waste of your time to even look at it...

For real world range, here's my trip history (all on sport mode) with the calculated range. My average range with the OEM summer tires is 135mi but that dropped to 107mi when I switched to wider UPH all season tires (which dragged down the all time average)

The data for the OEM 16" tires is below the 2nd red line:
    Screenshot_20211222-103229_Excel.png

5. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

I believe Sport mode also changes the acceleration. I tested 0-60 several times on the same stretch of road in Sport vs Mid mode and Sport was consistently quicker.

6. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Last time this came up the conclusion was that the difference was just due to more smoothing/hysteresis on Mid and Green resulting in a delay getting to full power (even with the pedal fully down). I don't think the actual peak power is any different but I don't have any proof, just subjective comparison.

Texas22Step, wessy and MichaelC like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

My car was always about 1 second quicker to 60 in Sport mode but I was using a GPS app on my phone to test it. I always have it in Sport mode now too.

9. Urbanengineer

Urbanengineer Active Member

Lovely data. We will choose more efficient tires when shopping around 20k miles. We are on the factory Goodyears and only get 3.8mi/kWh avg winter and 4.2mpk summer. Abysmal.

10. Bemsha

Bemsha Member

Ive got the countryman PHEV, and I’m lucky to get 2mi/kWh. Usually less. It’s crazy, the EPA range is 19 miles, I kept reading real world range was 26-32 miles, but even in green mode with a very light foot, I get about 16 miles, granted a lot of that is highway driving (~70mph). I am super bummed because I work 22 miles from home and was really hoping the battery alone could get me there, especially considering all the reports here of the 2 door SE getting more range than the EPA states.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
    Urbanengineer and wessy like this.
  11. wessy

wessy Active Member

Did anyone take a picture of their instrument panel when their SE was brand new, after their dealer charged it to 100%, but before driving off the dealer’s lot and putting any miles on it? Or maybe a brand-new owner could try to remember to take such a shot upon delivery, ideally cycling through the different driving modes to see what they say?

Because I’m guessing (although it is just a guess) that the car may never indicate a higher number of miles of range than at that point.

35422382-FF58-4A17-BEF3-48CA2932103B.jpeg

I had intended to take such a shot when I took delivery of my car six days ago, but my dealer hadn’t bothered to charge my car before I arrived (even though we had talked about it previously — not that any of us should even have to ask :rolleyes:) and I couldn’t wait any longer than the several hours I had already waited for their Level 2 charger to bring mine up to about 80%. :(

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

I don’t think you are on to anything here. The GOM estimates range based on previous driving. So, an undriven car will not have any driving history. I presume the resulting guesstimate would always be low.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Evidently, the 7 miles the fun-loving crew of the carrier ship drove your SE around on the deck were hard miles.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  15. moofpup

moofpup Active Member

There is also a test track at the Oxford factory and all new MINIs are tested before heading to the port. When I was there I watched them test cars coming off the line.

Carsten Haase likes this.
  16. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

That seems to be a pretty normal experience for many. Mine certainly wasn't. Part of the problem is the SE comes with a default setting of low charge rate.

17. wessy

wessy Active Member

It’s precisely because a brand-new car doesn’t have a meaningful driving history that makes me want to see what range it shows after it’s been charged to 100% for the first time but before the original owner drives it off the lot. You presume it would be low, but I’m more interested in actual data.

As an owner for only six days and all of 240 miles on my car so far, I have next to no experience seeing the results of charge cycles. So let me ask: What are the highest range numbers you more experienced owners have seen?

Has the GOM ever shown you 100 or more miles of range after a full charge? Maybe it routinely does for you — I don’t know — but my impression is that a sub-100-mile range indication is more typical. (And if that is the case, I find the 99 miles of range at approx. 80% charge displayed in the picture I posted intriguing.)

18. wessy

wessy Active Member

Really? I figured my experience was atypical. If dealers are routinely delivering cars with nowhere near 100% charge, that’s appalling. :mad:

19. Not me

Not me Member

My dealer doesn't have a level 2 charger so I expect it to have whatever SOC it comes from the factory with

20. wessy

wessy Active Member

Wow — and here I thought it was seriously lame that my dealer had only a Level 2 charger and not a Level 3 fast charger. That’s what I expect from the dealers of any brand that wants to be taken seriously as an EV manufacturer.

21. insightman

In the summer, my GOM often displays 110-112 miles even with my spirited driving style. I have 20 years of hypermiling experience with my two gen-1 Honda Insights (achieved 85 mpg on one tankful), but my right ankle has had enough of that and cannot refrain from frequent flexing when I'm driving our SE. At this time of year, 100 miles of GOM is more typical.

However, it makes more sense to focus on the battery-charge percentage than the GOM. The GOM is inaccurate on purpose as it tries to protect you from running out of juice rather than make you feel good with a bigger--perhaps more accurate--number. Have you set your instrument panel to display the battery charge percentage (in tiny numbers)? I hate the ultra-low resolution 8-segment battery-charge display--it should have 10 segments at a minimum--20 would be better.

22. Not me

Not me Member

I live a mile away & pass 4 public chargers on the walk there so I can understand why they don't care about sending customers off with 100%. I could care less about the SOC on delivery & plan on keeping track of usage data after the first full charge.

23. insightman

I'm trying to imagine the discussion among your dealer's staff:
    a. We've been sending cars out the door with just a gallon in the tank for years, why change for electric cars?
    b. We'll let our electric-car customers experience the real world and force them to stop and charge a block after taking delivery.
    c. Screw those electric-car customers! They're going to be the ruination of our service department. Let 'em buy their own Watts.
    d. What? Don't these electric cars come charged from the factory?
    e. The MINI Cooper SE is an electric car?