Milage estimate on dash dropped from 150 to 30 in one minute

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Fred Silver, Oct 22, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Fred Silver

Fred Silver New Member

We were driving home today. We got a "turtle" warning of low power. We've been dealing with that since the car was new. It slows the acceleration for a few seconds and then disappears. Kia dealer not able to fix. Then today it happened and suddenly the milage estimate dropped from 150 to 30 within about a minute. I pulled over and turned it off. There was a charger nearby so I got there after starting the car and it seemed to take a charge ok. At 80 miles estimated, I drove home (about 5 miles) without a problem. Has anyone experienced this? I have scheduled a service appt. but I'm guessing they won't know anything. Thanks!

Robert Bratton likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. TheHellYouSay

TheHellYouSay Member

Just a thought, but when you get the "turtle" warning when you're not at low power levels, per the mileage estimate, I would be inclined to take a picture. What you're describing is something I've never seen and I've run my car down to about 6 miles on mileage estimator. Maybe that one time the turtle thing showed up, but I don't remember. I was obviously using ECO+ and had turned EVERYTHING off just to make it to the charger. If you have photographs, it might help to get Kia to do something besides just shrug their shoulders.

4. Fred Silver

Fred Silver New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually do have a picture of the dash when the turtle popped up. I took it some months ago, so thanks for reminding me. I'll report back after they see it at the dealership.