Midyear Changes

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by bfl, May 22, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bfl

bfl Member

Does anyone have any info about the midyear changes to the 2023 SE? Apparently, there are new 2.0 trims, e.g. Signature Plus 2.0. The prices are increasing and the options included in the packages are changing. The changes are not reflected in the online configurator yet. I attached a build sheet for a Signature Plus 2.0.

Build Sheet.png

Louis W and SameGuy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Is this from your MA? I thought MINI was winding down production of the Oxford SE (bye, bye Signature) in preparation for the 2024 move to China. Maybe the 2.0 trim is just the black waistline replacing the chrome without having to special-order it?

What is Variable Light Decoding? Is it the matrix headlights that are finally legal in the US?

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  4. bfl

bfl Member

Yes, this info is from my local Mini dealer. I didn't get a full list of the changes, but it sounds like this is a pretty recent update. I'm not sure of the timeline for the switch to the 2024, but I was told to expect about a 5 month wait for any new orders.

I think the black waistline is probably wishful thinking, but that would be a welcome change! You can't even get the piano black exterior trim unless you order the Iconic trim.

I'm not sure specifically what Variable Light Decoding is, but I believe it has to do with the adaptive headlights as you mentioned. It was also listed on the 2022 build sheets, so I don't think there's necessarily anything new there.

insightman likes this.
  5. MarkSasaki

MarkSasaki Active Member

I ordered my SE with black waistline trim, it was not on the configurator and my dealer had it added. It was a $675.00 option and on my build sheet it is under accessories.

endquote likes this.
  6. insightman

Here is a 2018 video, "The Mini Hatch Presents i-Adaptive Led Headlights" that illustrates what we've been waiting for, but it wasn't called "Variable Light Decoding."

Back in 2017, Motor Trend discussed BMW's "Variable Light Decoding" and it sounds iike a bad thing:
    The Automobile Magazine Four Seasons 2017 BMW M2 carries—well, doesn't carry—two interesting items on its equipment list: variable light decoding (08S4), and decoding for no-dazzle high beam (05AP). Decoding means that those two features are erased from the car. They're removed from the U.S-spec M2.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bmartinez028

bmartinez028 Active Member

Variable Light Decoding is reprogramming the headlights to remove the matrix feature. All US bound cars have that listed on the build sheet.

insightman likes this.
  9. insightman

That is a bad thing. I wonder why they're still deprogramming that valuable safety feature--a feature that could also help sell more cars--now that US regulations allow it?

10. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Boo. But does that mean the headlight hardware is installed, and it could a feature activated via Bimmercode? Sort of like how all US-bound SEs have rear fog lights installed but deactivated?

That gives me a small amount of hope that the headlights are a compatible part for pre-2023 models, if you can get your hands on them.

11. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

No real info, but I saw something similar from a FB group. A person had "Iconic Trim 2.0" listed on their build sheet.

It looks like the Alarm System and Active Cruise are totally gone from the Iconic trim, and no more mention of heated steering wheel as well. (No credits listed for any.)

[​IMG]

bfl likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. jwzimm

jwzimm Active Member

I think the 8S4 option code has been present on all Mini's with the LED headlights. I doubt the 2023's have any different headlights than previous LED equipped cars.

I am also curious if it is possible to simply remove this from the VO and code the whole car. That should, in theory, activate the Variable Light Distribution functionality assuming the headlights themselves are capable of it and the other hardware is present on the car. One thing to keep in mind though, VLD is different than the Anti-Dazzle functionality that some higher-end BMW's also have. Anti-Dazzle is the the real party piece that can "tunnel" the high beams around other cars as you drive along. VLD can more grossly change the beam pattern while driving but it is not as active I think.

I did find a couple posts here where folks have tried to remove 8S4 from their VO and code the car but the results were not good. It may be that there is more tweaks required to get them fully functional or that we are just missing some piece of hardware required to make it all work. I know in my M3 you had to have the higher end camera installed in order to activate this. Ours should be the KAFAS camera though which should be capable of it.

14. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

I looked in to this a bit, and while the US has "legalized" some of these technologies, they have yet to be fully implemented, and the details on what will be legal don't seem to be fully available yet. There will most likely be small differences as to what's allowed vs UK/etc, so manufacturers won't really be on board with matrix led lights for the US for a few years yet.

15. insightman

It appears "Trim 2.0" should more appropriately be called "Trim 0.80" because instead of adding new stuff, it's missing old stuff.

drdunkyn, Matt007b, PSGee and 4 others like this.
  16. PSGee

PSGee New Member

I also have the "Signature Plus Trim 2.0" listed on my build sheet and it looks like the one shared by bfl. I asked my dealer if the updated trim involves chrome deletion and he told me it doesn't. Hopefully Mini haven't stopped issuing the steering wheel and car alarm credits. It isn't a lot of money but more about the principle.

Matt007b and SameGuy like this.
  17. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

It seems Iconic trim has offered less and less distinction since I got my 2021 SE, back when it was the only way to get the 8.8" display.

Matt007b and insightman like this.
  18. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Uh yeah. I’ll be pretty pissed. The heated wheel was a selling feature, and last time I checked, it was still listed as a standard item on all the trim lines.

Matt007b likes this.
  19. bfl

bfl Member

I didn't get the sense that there will be any credit for any of the features that were removed. I guess it may depend on when your order was placed. If you have it listed on your build sheet, you may have an argument.

When did you place your order? I'm just curious when they switched to the 2.0 trims. It would be nice if they would update their website to match.

20. bfl

bfl Member

Thanks for sharing this. Any idea what the price breakdown is for this build? I'm curious if the price difference between Signature Plus and Iconic got smaller, since it doesn't seem like there is all that much different.

21. PSGee

PSGee New Member

I “reserved” (Mini builder) on 2nd May and my dealer placed the order on 17th May.

bfl likes this.
  22. :eek:o_O Thanks for posting about this guys I didn't know about the refresh coming here I am trying to decide what color seats to get on an iconic and then I read this :confused: ... when does the mini model year change?? Mini does things totally different than other makers. I believe we're in 2023 model now but when does 2024 start coming?

- I was supposed to go in for a test drive but wasn't feeling well today but getting close to finally making the move. On the mini website builder it still shows the credit for the alarm... and still shows heated steering wheel as standard but no credit mentioned - I already know that's not happening which is sad... That's the first I've heard about the dynamic cruise control :( That's not good.. kind of wanted that.. nice that they used to charge for the black headliner but.. that's free now..least on iconic.

*any advice to give me if I do order? You usually figure out a contract to finance and then you do the deposit and wait and pray they don't take anything else off the car? lol... sigh this chip shortage... I've heard of horror stories where the dealer jacks the price up soon as the car arrives because they know either you'll pay up or they'll put dealer installed add-ons and sell the car to the public for a profit. Hope that doesn't happen... only have one dealer here in Utah. :(

23. insightman

I believe that the black anthricite headliner has always been a standard, no-extra-cost part of the Iconic trim package. My 2021 Iconic SE came with it.

Matt007b likes this.