mi3 app for use with ABRP

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by quietlyspinach, Apr 14, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. quietlyspinach

quietlyspinach Active Member

FYI, I just saw this thread on the Electric MINI Enthusiasts Facebook group.

There is a (new?) app for iPhone:

https://apps.apple.com/no/app/mi3/id1548538352

According to the folks who have used it, with an OBD dongle it can provide detailed charging information to help A Better Route Planner (ABRP) with routing to the next charging station. I don't have my MINI yet, so perhaps someone else who has an iPhone and an OBD dongle can try it!

MichaelC likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. quietlyspinach

Since I can't figure out how to link the Facebook post, there are some instructions on how to link the two apps together.

Here's what has been said in the comments:

in the abrp app you need to generate a token. Copy that token and insert it into the mi3 app.

Its hidden quite deep.
    In abrp go to settings,
    Then to car model
    Select mini cooper se (beta)
    Select the cog wheel for specific car settings
    Scroll all the way down to settings again and then click “show live data instructions”
    Some instructions appear. Click the link electrified button
    It should generate a token (lots of characters) and a copy button. Press the copy button
    Now go to the mi3 app.
    Press the bluetooth icon in the top left for the settings
    Activate the slider with “should share with abrp”
    And paste the token into the field below.
    It should now be connected.​

4. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

Sweet! I'll try it ASAP. The lack of an ABRP-compatible iOS OBD app is one of the last reasons for me to hold on to my Android phone.

5. quietlyspinach

If you do get this to work, let us know which OBD dongle you have - there are so many on Amazon I have no idea which ones are good/bad. I see Bimmercode are promoting the OBDLink CX Bluetooth and since I was thinking of eventually getting Bimmercode I'm tempted to go with that one.

6. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

It works! At least the displays, haven't tested ABRP on iOS yet. So long android. I have a Vgate iCar Pro, works with bimmercode for me.

Attached Files:

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. atlsk8r

atlsk8r Member

Just got this working with a Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0 OBD2 scanner.

Looks like the app has changed names to "BiMi". Also, the ABRP interface to get a token is much simpler, but there are some steps. Not sure if the steps below from memory are 100% accurate, but hopefully will help.

1) Create an ABRP account (with email/password)
    2) Under "Settings->Car model", you'll need to select "Mini Cooper Se (beta)"
    3) Under "Settings->Car model->Add my car" (under the Mini Cooper Se (beta) setting you added earlier), add a car and name it
    4) When you add a car above, it will give you options to link it to an app to get live data. One of the options should be mi3 (or maybe it was the new name BiMi?).
    5) Generate a token to link with mi3/BiMi.
    6) Follow the directions earlier in this thread to store this token in mi3/BiMi app and enable linkage.

Should basically work then. I confirmed I saw correct SOC in ABRP at least.

Main takeaway here is that:
    1) you must create an account (doesn't have to be paid account)
    2) You will have to add a car (of type "Mini Cooper Se (beta)") under which you will create the link with mi3/BiMi.

9. quietlyspinach

Yes, I just noticed the app on my phone changed itself from mi3 to BiMi during a recent update. Thanks for following up with the updated info!

atlsk8r likes this.