Maximum EV Range

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Cybazaar, Oct 3, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Cybazaar

Cybazaar New Member

On a recent trip back from a hike, there was about 9 miles of downhill driving, and to my surprise, not only did that charge the Clarity beyond the supposed 47 miles of EV range, it went up to 65.4 miles!

IMG_5391.jpeg

In practice, this might mean that the car is learning and thinks it will get that range for a mix of downhill and flat road driving. It would be a good test to see how much range I might actually get on a long flat highway, but most roads around me are hilly.

What's the maximum people have seen their EV range show up as?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. This is the most I’ve seen. 53996C48-DB9F-472B-BBE0-88389A1831B4.jpeg

David Towle and fotomoto like this.
  4. stacey burke

stacey burke Active Member

I am consistently in 60s all of this summer. 2018 touring - I had one day at 71

5. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

Is that with a big downhill run? The most I've gotten in flat Florida is 75.

6. Yes. After a long downhill drive with the battery charge down about 3 bars, the estimate showed ~80. The range at the summit may have been ~42. An overnight charge brought it up to 102. Of course, actual range the following day was mid-40’s.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

Just to add, yes each time I drive up to a mountain, maybe with HV on, then coming down switch to EV, I can artificially inflate my EV estimate.
    I live on a hill. I can do the same thing by hitting HV for each up-hill, then using EV down. Smaller scale, but if I repeat, I can make the EV estimate arbitrarily high.

When in-town, my driving is 100% EV (which is most of the time). I sometimes go 2 months without using gas. But in EV only mode, I find the estimate to work well for me. It actually evens out the relative high downhill and higher "cost" up hill to show a pretty accurate number. Anyway, I only ever see wildly off estimates of EV range if and only if I mix my driving with HV (or even more specifically HV and hills or mountains).

d99 likes this.
  9. PHEVDave

PHEVDave Active Member

This my best so far.

8B36DDD4-B786-44FC-9D0C-244B25CD8BCB.jpeg

And that’s just driving around a town that’s flat as a pancake.

10. Frankwell

Frankwell Active Member

What is the highest actual EV range that you have achieved?

11. PHEVDave

PHEVDave Active Member

A little over 60 miles. I usually recharge when I get down to around half so I don’t get to measure total EV range very often. But the estimated range I’m given is pretty close to actual. I watch the odometer go up as the range goes down and they pretty much stay synched.

I have no doubt that I could get 78 miles on a 70 degree day driving conservatively without the air on and driving generally 45 mph or less.

David Towle likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. d99

d99 Member

I have also seen 65 after a big downhill. It's a historical number. IMHO, the car will not/cannot achieve that on normal flat terrain, even driving at 65 MPH.

14. I’ve achieved 60+ miles on EV on several occasions in most heavy, stop and go, rush hour traffic in LA. I believe 70 or more is possible if speeds are kept below ~35mph.

At 65mph one should expect about 42 miles.

BrianRC likes this.
  15. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

While living in LA (frequent commuting from San Fernando Valley to West LA avoiding the 405) my EV range stayed between 50 and 52 miles. After moving to Vegas it has stayed between 60 and 65. Of note, driving 18 miles on a slowly ascending slope across Las Vegas east to west ( no freeway, low to no congestion, around 45 mph) made the EV range drop 32 'miles' from the starting 63-mile EV range. Driving back west to east the same 18 miles in the same slope now downwards but with a little more slow traffic EV range barely dropped another 6 miles. So in result 36 EV range 'miles' were spent driving 36 miles and the GOM prediction was correct in this particular setting. Obviously, after charging GOM was back on the 63 mile EV range.