Max RPM

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by David in TN, Apr 27, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

Yesterday I was traveling from mid-Tennessee to southern Illinois.

While going up a hill and traffic being rather obnoxious, I decided that the time was right to check out the who RPM situation. I floored it. Speed quickly accelerated the two-tone beast which had my wife and I along with a fair amount of luggage. It reached mid-90s going uphill quite easily.

I had been driving in HV as my trip was about 200 miles, so the engine was warm. This was about halfway into the trip.

I forget to look at the ScanGauge yesterday, but here is the result of the experiment. 20190426_232430.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app

Sandroad likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Did it sound "angry?"

4. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

Actually it didn't. It sounded more like a traditional Honda engine running at high RPM.

"Angry" sound tends to occur between 2500-4000. It seems to settle down after that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app

insightman likes this.
  5. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Expected. Honda always claimed max Hp rpm output for this engine was at 5500. Which means they probably set the electronic governor just ever so slightly past that, at 5600, to ensure engine damage could never occur.

And I Love the fact that someone feels angry bees occurs a couple thousand rpm LOWER than the safe rpm max...just proving how incredibly subjective the whole angry bees thing is, among those who do not have a method of measuring exact rpm.

Thanks for sharing the data...

Johnhaydev and Mowcowbell like this.