Maintenance time?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Aquavir, May 25, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Aquavir

Aquavir Active Member

I’m about to hit 23K miles in my ‘23 SE which I took delivery of at the end of August ’22. I swapped out the tires for winter (and then back for summer), so I’m not worried about rotation. However, the car still tells me I’m not due for service until August of ‘24, when I’ll likely be pushing 50K miles. I’m thinking that’s a bit long to wait. I can’t find any mileage based maintenance recommendations in the app or online. Anyone know when I need to bring this thing in?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    They change the brake fluid, which isn’t a wear item, but it does degrade over time because it’s hygroscopic. That’s about it. 24 months is fine.

Aquavir, insightman and F14Scott like this.
  4. Aquavir

Aquavir Active Member

Thanks. So I guess I’ll push it until the low 30Ks, as I might as well take advantage of the free service appointment before the 36K cutoff.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

insightman likes this.
  5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I hit my 36,000 miles at the same time as my 2-year maintenance, so I only got the one free service. But with the SE there's almost nothing that needs maintenance, so I'm not too concerned. Tires and washer fluid, plus replacing the wiper blades and cabin filter every now and then. My original brake pads are still at 9mm and I'm going to hit 60,000 miles this week.

yoomini, CamFG and Aquavir like this.
  6. Hutch

Hutch Active Member

My 2 yr is in June, good thing too, it will no longer DC fast charge.

Aquavir likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

Any recommendations for good wiper blades for the SE? Coming up on a year of ownership and my passenger side is squeaking something terrible.

9. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I recommend the OEM wiper blades. I just had mine replaced (I do so about once a year), got rid of the squeaking. Not worth saving a few dollars on aftermarket blades if you ask me. In fact I had my MINI service department replace them when I got my new summer wheels put on, and it turned out to be cheaper than buying the parts myself from the dealer and doing a self-install.

Aquavir likes this.
  10. ghost

ghost Active Member

PXL_20230531_135510015.MP.jpg
    My car is possessed by electrical gremlins!

No, it's not -40F out in So CA.

And as of this p.m. both my windows refuse to roll down. I had this issue w/ a bad switch in my eGolf, but only on the driver's side. I could get it to work if I lifted the switch repeatedly (5x or so).

11. Newkirk

Newkirk Active Member

For a few months now, my passenger side window won't go up all at once when pulling the switch up, I have to hold it for it to go up. It goes down fine with one full press of the switch. I'll have to get the dealer to look at it when I take it in for the two-year service next month. What's weird is my VW did the exact same thing for a few years. Sometimes it would fix itself and then go back to not working properly, but it fixed itself several months ago and has been fine since.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Low 12 volt battery?

14. ghost

ghost Active Member

The next day my windows worked again. Of course, I'm taking it in tomorrow. I first took it in 5 months ago in Jan bc my charging flap sensor thinks the flap is open. They told me the sensor is due in tomorrow, after I called Friday.

15. ghost

ghost Active Member

Update: I woke up this a.m. w the thought that a rodent had chewed my wiring, which would explain the electrical gremlins. Had this happen to my wife's 2 month old Toyota.

Drive in and mentioned it to the service rep. He said, if it were, the result would affect the driveability of the car.

Got a call later and a rodent had chewed the temp sensor wire, which they think was causing the window issue, too. New temp sensor wire harness is due tomorrow, and cost to install + part is $500.

Good news is that they had another SE for loan. This one only has 1100 mi on it and Goodyear f1 tires. Gonna compare these to the kooks and my indy500s.

SameGuy likes this.
  16. SJA

SJA Member

Sorry to hear that the vermin got into your SE. Keep us updated on the wheel review, I have the Goodyear's and was curious how they compared to the Hankook's.

ghost and SameGuy like this.
  17. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

I second this. Mostly because the last couple inches of non-OEM wiper blades never lay flat on the windshield, and my mild OCD won't tolerate such things.

18. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

Anyone got a part number for the OEM blades? Can't find online when putting in a '23 Cooper S or SE. I live 3 hours from dealer, so not an option from them.

19. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

I just had this done yesterday, dealer put on 61610040534... $45. That is a set of two blades. Same blades fit all F55, F56, F57 minis.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
  20. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

Just two? The rear wiper wasn't replaced? That one gets the worst use.

21. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

My rear blades last about three times as long as the fronts. I think that may have something to do with the nature of debris hitting the windshield, maybe curvature, along with not using the rears as much. My driver's side lasts longer than the passenger side.

22. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

My rear windscreen is always dirtier than the front. Dust in the summer, salty sludge in the winter. And that tiny blade has to scrape all of that. I'll bet that you change your front blades more often because you look out the front more often, ignoring the rear.

23. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

Perhaps because I keep the Mini clean the rear doesn't see much abuse? But then I don't look out the back window all that often and being father away small defects are not as noticeable as the front.