Looking for a car that will cool itself when parked in the sun

Discussion in 'General' started by ILikeMusictoo, Mar 2, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ILikeMusictoo

ILikeMusictoo New Member

Hello,
    We have a 2011 Prius 3 with the solar roof option. The feature my wife LOVES about this car is the fact that when parked in hot sun, which is almost year round in Florida, the car runs the fan and an extractor. This keeps air flowing through the vehicle and takes the edge off the heat.

In addition the key fob has a remote air conditioner start, but she hardly ever uses it.

Here's the important part: she wants the car to be able to keep itself cool while sitting in the sun WITHOUT her having to remember to hit a button on an app or something. The Prius does this now, and I'm thinking maybe the Tesla's "dog mode" would be good for this too.

I would much prefer an EV, not a gas-powered car. If there was a EV that had a feature that let you tell it how long you'd be away from it, so it could start cooling off a few minutes before your return, that would be very handy. With the big batteries EVs have, it would seem this would be an easy feature for EV makers to add, more so than ICE cars. Perhaps a threshold temperature setting could be set too - keep the car at 78 or lower, for example.

It's hard to come up with a google search that will identify cars with this kind of feature, so I thought this forum could help.

If you know of some cars that are close to, but not quite as I described please list them anyway. All options will be looked at.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. dGarry48

dGarry48 Member

Maybe the best trick to find a shaded area or a way to give it a shade.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

And/or an outside cabin cover.

Bob Wilson

dGarry48 likes this.