Look Inside Kona Electric Battery And See Real Capacity

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Vid.beatific, Mar 8, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Vid.beatific

Vid.beatific Member

EnerG, Mattsburgh, lars2885 and 7 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. That's pretty neat! You wouldn't happen to have made a video about the process of removing it and opening it up, have you?

4. Nice opening post! Thanks for the pictures. Are you working on a project?
    The nominal voltage is 3.63V, however the normal operating (charge/discharge) is from 2.5 to 4.2 V as shown by the specifications shown here:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/lg-chem-lg-e63-cell-discussion.9783/
    the capacity @ the higher 4.2 V will increase accordingly, although you don't want to keep it there for a long duration.
    Probably best to store @ the rated 3.63 nominal voltage which translates to ~ 86% SOC.

lars2885 and navguy12 like this.
  5. Vid.beatific

Vid.beatific Member

next time we will film.

we open dozens of such batteries (vw, jag, polestar, tesla, bolt, ioniq, etc) and give them another life in photovoltaic systems.

08dc93a1-4ae6-40f3-bbfe-8b8fa8a71e02.jpg

3s kona cell test:
    IMG_2770.JPG
    IMG_2767.JPG

Kona bat pictures:
    IMG_4494.JPG IMG_4498.JPG
    IMG_4515.JPG
    325E022F-F4F4-49D0-B93C-32AE60677E1B.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

AdrianMole, eleced, eastpole and 8 others like this.
  6. Oh, that very interesting. Stationary storage for solar is a great use of batteries from crashed/retired vehicles.

I think a video might help you get the word out about your business, and we may be able to write about it on InsideEVs news site. Of course, Kona Electric owners here will no doubt be curious about the inside of their battery packs. I'm especially interested in the different approaches to temperature management -- the way they route liquid through the packs.

Thanks for these pics. Great stuff!

Mattsburgh, navguy12 and electriceddy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Vid.beatific

Vid.beatific Member

Thx :)

I remembered opening another one a year ago. here are more pictures

IMG_2721.JPG
    IMG_2725.JPG
    IMG_2886.JPG IMG_2783.JPG

the cooling / heating system can be observed

it is made of aluminum plates as seen in this picture in which several cells are extracted

82940597-C8AF-4883-9D9C-09FB400A7E2E.jpg

4est, lars2885, navguy12 and 4 others like this.
  9. I emailed that site 2 years ago and asked them where they got the 67 number from. They told me that they "guessed".
    True, and if you integrate power output over that full voltage range you arrive at a total energy capacity. If you divide that by the Ah rating you get that nominal voltage. It's a convenient way to characterise the cell without worrying about a complicated voltage curve.
    We've unaware of that number or if a low-end buffer is used. The missing piece of info is the cell voltage when the Kona's dash says 0% SoC.

navguy12, GeorgeS and electriceddy like this.
  10. Vid.beatific

Vid.beatific Member

Dash 100% is 4.187V at cell level

I don't have 0% - 10% dash is 3.47V

maybe someone has the courage to reach 0% ... and tell us the Voltage

11. The cell published data plotted out shows that it's quite nonlinear under 10%. Another challenge is that we don't have a way of precisely measuring OCV in the car. The best we can do is take data while low-power AC charging with the Minimum setting applied to minimise charging power, yet externally support the on-board systems that allow OBD cell or pack voltage to be read.
    The data I plotted here against the published OCV is while driving, so that averages to cell voltage under moderate load and that offset of course reflects the cell resistance.
    OCV spec vs actual dring data.PNG

eleced, lars2885, navguy12 and 2 others like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Okay, Vid, who are you really and which lab do you work for? Just curious.

_H*

14. It appears the cell (as pictured) is from the Nanjing China manufacture facility (even though the label shows "made in Korea") and would be included in the recent NTHSA (and Hyundai) recalls. Any signs of damage and could this be an issue in usage re-application considering the folded anode?
    https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V127-1095.PDF

mho likes this.
  15. Vid.beatific

Vid.beatific Member

we checked them carefully and the cells do not have any external signs that could indicate a possible risk of fire, we use max 80% of their capacity in photovoltaic systems . I tested them charging / discharging at 85Ah .. (cc, cv) at least on charging they heat up a bit. that's why we decided to use them below 0.3C charge / dischrge on the 180Ah pack.

16. ... which is far more conservative than what many of us will be doing with our Konas while we wait ...

Mattsburgh, navguy12 and GeorgeS like this.
  17. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

Fantastic way to repurpose used cells. At .3C I can see why they don't heat up. I've seen others do this. With the recall on the Kona EV's their is likely to be lots of these available. Good time to start a business repurposing.

navguy12 likes this.
  18. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Interesting.. If the calculation is correct, the pack would have over 73kw at 100% charge..
    So capacity would be 4.18V x 180Ah (3x60Ah) x 98 (cell no) = 73.7 kw. That seems a lot higher than the 67 kw that some claimed that the pack has..

navguy12 likes this.
  19. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Very interesting thread. The very 1st pic included that shows that "LGCHEM" type of batteries -- WHERE IS THAT PANEL? Is it easy to see from under the car? or does it require removing something to expose that?

FYI ... I have had all RECALLS & Service Campaigns done to date. I don't usually charge to 100% but though I'd give it a try to see what my cells charge to at full charge.. I've included a pic from SOUL SPY =>>

100% Charge after Feb 21 BMS Service Campaign.png

lars2885 likes this.
  20. Vid.beatific

Vid.beatific Member

it's on every cell ... for that you have to open the battery.

21. NRH

NRH Active Member

Hey Vid, what's the name of your business? We're considering building an off-grid home and I've wondered about just this idea of using repurposed EV cells for storage (but I don't have the DIY chops to DIMyself).
    I'd be interested in learning more about a company like yours.
    Thanks, Nate

22. Your calculation is incorrect because the voltage is not maintained over the full discharge range, as EE noted.

23. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

So, what is the actual capacity then?? How do you calculate it?