List of vehicles that can benefit from higher than 150kW charging?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by MSimpsonNJ, May 10, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

Has anyone seen a list compiled of EV's that can take advantage of charging stations higher than 150kW? I want to be able to easily tell when I should or should not be indignant when the 350kW units are taken up by other cars....

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Esprit1st likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

This sounds a bit like the old controversy where EV owners were indignant when they discovered PHEVs plugged into EVSEs of any capacity.

4. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

No, but I will admit irritation when I pull into a charging location with 8 stations and one 350, and the only vehicle there is an older EV sitting on the 350. My intent in knowing who can and cannot benefit from the higher kW charger is not to harass or ask them to move, but to plug into a 150 and then politely educate them about the differences and the etiquette. I know when I had my first EV (a Kona) and was not yet educated on the whole EV thing, my initial reaction was to grab the 350 because I thought it would be better/faster for me. Once I learned I only grabbed the 350 as a last resort (which I actually never had to do).

5. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I guess I don't see that way. PHEV owners are only going to use a public EVSE if it cost less than gas, like free charging. It's not really an availability issue since there are other EVSEs and DC chargers available at a higher cost.

The charge rate issue that being discussed here is more of an educational issue if there are slower DC chargers available for use at the same location.

insightman and MSimpsonNJ like this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

Great idea and thanks for the start. I'll put together a list as best I can and post it - and if I have time to gather it I'll put their max rate for the particular model year (as i'm sure as each year goes by there will be vehicles that increase their number)

8. Even

Even New Member

I was using a 350kw EA charger the other day for my I5 and never went above 140kw while an EV6 charging at the same time in the same location using a 150kw unit was pulling 150kw. I used the same charger weeks before and peaked at 170kw. I’m a new owner. Is this typical of EA chargers?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. I have seen that charging behavior at Electrify Canada. The Ionic 5 owner unplugged from the 350 kW machine and achieved double the rate (about 144 kW) on the 150 kW unit (at 1/2 the cost as well)

10. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

There is certainly a difference if your state charges per kWh or charges per minute. In American Columbia, it's per kWh but it's per minute in British Columbia so there is probably greater incentive to charge as fast as possible if it's time based.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. I charged my EV6 yesterday at an EA location. The two 350kW units were available and I plugged into one. Right off the bat the charge rate shot to over 200 and topped out at 230 kW. I charged from 19 percent on the battery to 80 in 16 minutes and continued to 90 percent in another 8 minutes. I imaging the I5 can do the same. The optimum time for such a fast charge is when the ambient temperature is hot. It was 85 yesterday in Maine.

Mike Bearsails and electriceddy like this.
  13. 10sqmiles

10sqmiles New Member

Indeed, at a an EA site in Pennsylvania where I charged last week, the cost was $.32/minute on the 350 and $.16 on the 150, clearly a car not able to utilize the higher rate would be better off on the lower capacity unit. There was a Bolt on one of the 350 and it was charging at 25kw

14. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

So in summary if you are not driving a Hyundai IONIQ5, KIA EV6, Porsche Taycan(s) (some Audi), Tesla (Europe), or any LUCID then should be indignant when the 350kW units are taken up by other car.

Last edited: May 17, 2022
  15. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Unless the 350kW unit breaks just as the slow-charging vehicle's owner walks away. Then schadenfreude is called for rather than indignation.

Tony S, electriceddy and teslarati97 like this.
  16. CapeCodI5

CapeCodI5 Member

I charged at 2 EA 150 units yesterday, one in Kittery, ME & the other in Plymouth, MA. At the 1st I topped out at about 175kw and went from 49% to 90% in 18 minutes. At the 2nd, it ran at just under 150kw and I went from 51% to 85% in 12 minutes. At the first site there were 3 other vehicles charging and at the 2nd there wasn’t anyone else there. You might think that when all four units were charging, the rate might be limited, but that didn’t appear to be the case.

Mike Bearsails and Bill Carter like this.
  17. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

I charged at a small EA station (2 x 350, 4 x 150), plugged into a 150KW unit and achieved a 200KW rate. I was the only one at the station during the complete session. Temp was 18C too. This was after driving, non-stop, along the 401 in Ontario, for 200Kms. I was very surprised to see a rate well above what the terminal was advertising. Either a programming error or this station adds extra capacity for sharing with the partner terminal.

Mike Bearsails likes this.