Level2 Charger Hack Help

Discussion in 'General' started by ob2s, Aug 5, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ob2s

ob2s New Member

My e-golf is out of warranty and it no longer will do timed charging and thus I must charge manually and to 100% each time unless I set a timer and come back down to the garage and stop the charging, I wish to not exceed 80%. I have to first look at the estimated charge time on the car screen and then subtract 15-20 minutes to set the timer. This is complete BS of course, but the 'fix' from VW is $1500.

What I was thinking of doing is getting a smart relay and wire it in to the copilot or proximity wire circuit. I will have to break open my 'portable' charger, which I am comfortable with. So my question is, if I start charging and then use this relay to break the copilot or proximity circuit in an hour say, will that stop the charging ? Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

I don't know the answer to your question, but there are level 2 chargers available that will automatically stop at 80%.

Another option is if you have any way to remotely monitor the charge, you could setup something to where you could use Alexa or something to stop the charge.

4. ob2s

ob2s New Member

Thanks for advice. I was able to buy a smart breaker and integrate it will Alexa using a server I have. I get home plug it in and press the button to charge immediately and then look at the time to 100% on the display, and then tell Alexa to power off the breaker in ~15 to 20 minutes before that time. Inconvenient for sure, but the real challenge is to get my wife to do it. She says, 'get rid of it and buy a C Class'. Not helpful.

5. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

There is nothing in the level 2 protocol that allows the car to inform the EVSE of the state
    of charge. All the car can do is manage the pilot line to say "yes please" or "no".

However, a timer that breaks [opens] either of the pilot or proximity would stop charging
    immediately, so your idea is workable if you're willing to do a little guessing to set
    your timer.

_H*

ob2s likes this.
  6. ob2s

ob2s New Member

Thanks, I tested it by just breaking the pilot connection. The charge ends and doesn't restart even if the pilot connection is reestablished. This is the behaviour I want. Like you say it will require 2 new steps, 1) look at charge time (X minutes) to 100% after plugging in 2) Telling Alexa to power off my esp8266 relay in (X-15) minutes. I've told my wife that I will handle all plugins, so she doesn't have to bother. Rube Goldberg would be proud.

Fastnf likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.