Level 2 Charger Reviews

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Aaron, Feb 4, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

I apologies if this has already been covered. I was unable to find the thread (now watch someone post a link to the thread.)
    I'm looking for a level 2 charger. I am having an outlet installed in my garage so I just need a simple portable charger. I know some people have had bad luck with chargers that didn't fit (too tight....couldn't remove.) I am trying to avoid this....
    Thanks!
    Aaron

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I'll start a small war here, but I like clipper creek for size and simplicity. No Wifi, no scheduling function, just plug in and charge. You can use the car to schedule charging if you need that. Depending on what size outlet you are putting in your garage, you should choose the charger size accordingly and to meet your desired charging times.
    For example 40A circuit (or larger) would accept up to a 32A charger, 30A would accept up to 24A charger. 30A will charge the Clarity from completely discharged to full in just over 2 hours (if its not frigid where the car is being charged). 24A will charge the Clarity in about 2.5 hours (same caveat). 20A will charge the Clarity in 3 hours. And lastly, 16A will charge the Clarity in about 3.75 hours. Of course you can go bigger than the 30-32A evse, but the Clarity won't use the extra charging capability, Tesla's can (especially if equipped with 2 charger option) and future cars may take advantage of a larger charger.

All that said, my father-in-law uses a Clipper Creek LCS-25 that I loaned/gave him as his main charger. It is a 20A charger and he uses it on a 30A circuit. He loves it, but it is 3 hours to a full charge from full discharge. Easy to take with you if you have a destination with 240V plug option for charging. Here's one of those on Ebay (you would have to add the plug type you want):
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Clipper-Creek-Level-2-Charger-LCS-25/303048753416
    To give equal time, others here love the JuiceBox Pro and the ChargePoint EVSEs as well as a few Siemens (these may all have wifi connection, logging of charging consumption, and scheduled charging). The Duosida chargers are generally less expensive and made in China (I think), but I haven't really heard much bad about their reliability.