Level 1 J1772 Differences

Discussion in 'General' started by acaisoul, Oct 21, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. acaisoul

acaisoul New Member

I’m just posting this to find out if anyone else has noticed something similar.

I have a 2016 Kia Soul EV+. Over the past year I have periodic issues with it not charging using the level 1 charger. It would fault or indicate it was charging when it was not. I believe it is now working correctly - Kia replaced the charger and the OBC.

While all this was happening, I noticed that I could use my neighbor’s Prius level 1 charger and it always worked. Even when my Kia charger failed, the Toyota charger worked.

So, I’m curious why.
    Could it be that Toyota uses different Pilot signaling than Kia?

I’m sure someone out there has some knowledge about this.

- Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Did you use the different chargers in the same power outlet? It could be a faulty outlet.

4. bluzer1

bluzer1 New Member

Agreed with the last poster. There could also be a bad junction on that circuit, which could be dangerous to start a fire.
    Can you measure the voltage on the circuit when it does work? Is it dropping below 110V? Can you borrow your neighbour’s EVSE and do the same?
    Might be best to have an electrician inspect the circuit.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

If you have an IR thermometer, look for 'hot' junctions.

Bob Wilson

Fastnf likes this.
  6. acaisoul

acaisoul New Member

Same circuit. Only used for charging.
    All is fine after Kia replaced the parts.

This is a reasonable question about how car makers use the J1772 standard. I was curious.

Don’t go looking for other root cause issues.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

If Kia replaced the EVSE and the new one is working, it was a likely a defect with the first one and not related to the implementation of the J1772 standard.
    Your post is a little confusing because you said the "replaced the charger and the OBC". I assume you meant the EVSE when you referenced the charger and the OBC is the actual charger (which is always built into the car)?

9. acaisoul

acaisoul New Member

OBC is the on board charger. This is attached the the driver side on the motor. It was faulty.

The level 1 J1772 cable was replaced and so was the OBC, by Kia. No issues since then.

Just curious why the Toyota J1772 always worked when I had the faulty OBC. My thought is that these manufacturers handle pilot signaling differently.

10. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

No, the signaling protocols are the same.