Let’s Talk Road Trip?

Discussion in 'XC40 Recharge' started by Mike and DeSha, Jun 27, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hi friends. I just completed a 3,500 mile road trip in my XC40 Recharge. My first EV road trip was from Colorado to Texas to Florida and back. The vehicle’s trip monitor says I used 43.4 kw per 100 miles. Any ideas on how good this number is? I was heavily loaded, family of 4 with vacation bags plus summer camp bags for 2 kids. I also used a rooftop luggage carrier which I think created drag, I’ll try to avoid using it again. I spent plenty of interstate time at 70-75 mph with lots of alternate route driving for fun and adventure, trip monitor says my average speed for the whole trip was 57 mph. As we learned the “real” mileage performance of our new EV we ended up planning charging stops every 120-140 miles. The availability of level 3 chargers really dictated our route; we found North Texas (oil county) to be the most challenging. Please share your experience with road trips in the XC40 Recharge. Thank you! Mike

Domenick likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
    Mike and DeSha likes this.
  4. Russ

Russ New Member

Here's my writeup of the road trip I took last year in my 2021 XC40 Recharge. I split it into two blog posts. The bottom line is that it's doable in an EV, but still not desirable. I did learn a lot and would be able to do it again more efficiently and pleasantly if I were to do it again.
    https://blog.ackgame.com/onwords/road-trip-in-my-volvo-xc40-recharge/

Domenick likes this.