KONA HIGH VOLT.BATTERY UPD.(20-01-018H) Recall Code:960

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Shrini Raghu, May 5, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Saw a post in one of the FB group. Logged into Myhyundai and searched for recalls with my VIN and found I had the below recall:

KONA HIGH VOLT.BATTERY UPD.(20-01-018H) Recall Code:960

I have a 2019 Hyundain Kona EV SEL trim. It has around 12800 Miles on it. The KONA was purchased in July 2019 from a dealer in Maryland, USA.

I'm going to try contacting my dealer and schedule a appointment for sometime this week. Will keep this thread posted on updates.

meanwhile, If anyone else got this recall and fixed, please share the details

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

Have an appointment for next Monday, something to do with a safety recall "that needs to be taken care of". The "first part" is an inspection of the high voltage battery that should take about an hour. Darned if I could get out of them what the second part is, guess I'll find out. BTW when I logged in to myhyundai with the VIN for safety recalls it showed "no open campaigns". Not sure what's going on, but they also wanted to schedule an oil change. I'm going to ask if I can watch.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  4. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I bought mine on 6/28/19 also in Maryland.. Let me check my VIN.. Last time I checked, nothing came up.. I believe mine was April or May 2019 build date..

EDIT: Just checked... no recalls for my VIN.

5. I checked my VIN and also found "no open campaigns". Which is odd because I did have to have the water pump replaced so I would have expected that to show up. The "SAFETY RECALLS AND SERVICE CAMPAIGNS" lookup seems inconsistent at best.

6. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

OK, I called the dealer again today for clarification. She read the full "recall" notice to me word for word, and in a very complicated word salad it basically said it was a technology review and software update, apparently the same "recall" addressed here https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/seeing-reports-of-a-kona-recall-in-form-of-software-update.8713/ in this forum.

It's not a safety issue, nothing's going to catch fire, and since I'm isolating and don't wish to spend the morning exposed while the dealer tinkers with my software without comprehending why, I cancelled the appointment. Case closed as far as I'm concerned. I did want to see that oil change, though.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Floyd

Floyd New Member

I have a 2019 Kona EV Ultimate, purchased in April 2019. I live in California. Yesterday, I took my car in for a regular service and was informed that there were two safety recalls on the 2019 Kona EV. Both recall services were completed.
    The first was two can case replacements listed as EWP CAN CASE REPLACEMENT (19-01-036H). I have attached a file that details this repair.
    The second was the one you mentioned above, HIGH VOLT. BATTERY UPD. (20-01-018H) which I was told was a software update.

Attached Files:

9. Yes, when I had my water pump recall taken care of they also applied the "high voltage battery update":[​IMG]

1st-KonaEV-in-FL likes this.
  10. Ours us scheduled for these same things.

11. FloridaSun

Where did you schedule yours? I'd assume that the parts would have to be shipped to the Florida dealer first.. Doubt that the parts for the water pump issue are in stock here in Florida..

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    1st-KonaEV-in-FL likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. https://www.hyundaicfl.com/
    Hyundai of Central Florida
    17325 E Highway 50
    Clermont, FL 34711

They did the battety software update with tire rotation, ordered parts, came in today. They will be giving a loaner car while service 2-4 hours. I asked for an electric, but of course they have none.

FloridaSun likes this.
  14. Hyundai of Central Florida
    17325 E Highway 50
    Clermont, FL 34711

They did the battery update, with tire rotation. Parts came in today, they will give us a loaner, job is 2-4 hours, I asked for an electric, but of course they have none.

15. Its probably better to have the pumps repair and the software update done at different times given that in case of a problem - easier to tell where it has occurred.

R P likes this.
  16. FloridaSun

I assume that you scheduled your visit as I doubt that they had Kona Electric parts in stock, right? Just re-read.. you didn't do the water pump case?

17. I also bought mine in Maryland in March of last year. I just checked and don't have a recall associated with my VIN (yet). I do however still have the %$#!! Maintenance required bs telling me to rotate the tires, even though I've wasted my time over and over and over again trying to reset/clear it. Seriously infuriating that they would make something like this so gd annoying and obnoxious to clear.