Kona Extended Protection Plans

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Rob Harlan, Nov 25, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rob Harlan

Rob Harlan New Member

After 10 years or so driving very enjoyable, but limited range EVs (conversations and 2013 Leaf) I am picking up a 2021 Kona next week. The sales guys have a bunch of protection plans that they eagerly offer. I am curious as to whether others, in hind sight, would recommend any of their plans as a worthwhile investment. "Extended Protection" "Appearance Protection", "go Gold Card" etc. Thanks for the input. Glad to have found a Kona forum...

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. It is a personal comfort thing, a lot can go wrong with the car and this can help avoid an unwelcome and expensive repair cost down the road.
    I just traded my '19 Kona EV in for a newer '21 model, and was happy to receive almost all the money back from the original extended warranty purchase, which I put towards a new plan. They are more expensive now though than they were several years ago.

mho likes this.
  4. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Just curious my friend did they give you decent trade value or did you sell it private did you get any rebates.

electriceddy likes this.
  5. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

I have bought several new cars some with and some without extended warranties. It a personal choice. My wife always advocates for that extra protection. I on the other hand hand a different outlook. I point out to her that we have never collect on any one of them. That is not to say we have not used our warranties. I find they always find a way to exclude your warranty claim. We even bought a 100k bumper to bumper for our Prius (happy wife). We drove it without issue the whole time we had it. It is true, the more gadgets, the more can go wrong but it is a FACT!! They wouldn’t sell it if they didn’t make money on it. As I have heard, they make more on them than the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. TRSmith

TRSmith Member

I’ve never bought an extended warranty or anything of the like, and I’ve never regretted it.

My main thing: if there was a good chance you’d get more out of it then you paid, wouldn’t it be unprofitable for the insurer (or whoever backs it)? So figure either it’s unnecessary or the fine print is such that anything you’d want to use it for, they’d find a way to deny your claim.

Plus those plans a HUGE profit center for the dealership. Taken together, everything sold in F&I — extended warranties, financing, etc. — accounts for the largest portion of the dealership’s gross. Usually 40% or so of the price you pay for the warranty goes directly to commission for the F&I manager who sold it to you.