Kona EV battery pack cost vs price

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by eurokeitai, Feb 25, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. eurokeitai

eurokeitai New Member

According to the news, the 820000 car battery replacement campaign will cost Hyundai $900 million. A simple division later we come at $11000 per battery. This is pretty close to $200/kWh, assuming most cars are 64kWh and some of the cars are 39kWh. This is with whole cost, batteries, labor and organizing the campaign.

Meanwhile, the price of 64kWh spare battery is $31.000!

https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/genuine/hyundai-battery-system-assy~37501-k4000.html

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Hyundai uses LG high cobalt batteries. Tesla's cost is about $150 per kwh but they use low cobalt Panasonic in most of their cars..
    Cobalt is very expensive and batteries with higher cobalt are more expensive but it is said that high cobalt means less degradation.

4. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

It's not clear how the battery replacement will actually be handled, though. For example, it's technically possible to refurbish a battery pack by just replacing the cells and reusing the outer casing, inner structure, cooling, wiring harnesses and electronics. That would save a lot of money and bring Hyundai's total cost way down. I've not seen any Hyundai-specific battery pack teardowns, but presumably the Chevy Bolt uses the same cells and the diagrams I've seen suggest the overall pack construction is at least very similar. There's a whole lot of stuff that should be perfectly fine to reuse.

They're also not paying retail prices...

navguy12 likes this.
  5. eurokeitai

eurokeitai New Member

Cobalt trades at $50/kg, but there simply isn't that many kg of Cobalt in the battery to make big difference in the price. The Tesla 75kWh pack has 4.5kg of, cobalt, if Kona 64 has 9kg, it's still only $250 more than the Tesla pack.

But my real point here is that Hyundai's spare price for the battery pack is a ripoff.

navguy12 likes this.
  6. FloridaSun

The markup in car parts has always been huge.. Let's not forget that a battery pack is huge and shipping of it is not cheap..

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Not just car parts, my 6 year old Miele dishwasher threw a code last night, after I tore it down and did the diagnostics I found a defective heater relay. I just ordered it directly form Miele as it was the cheapest online option. $150 for what likely has a true cost of no more than $5. It stings but at least I saved on the callout labor and their likely generous markup on the part.

navguy12 and Lars like this.
  9. FloridaSun

I remember buying some Front Wheel Hubs for the 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan that my wife drove a few years ago (we actually still have the Van but only use it if we need to haul something we can't haul with our EVs).. The wheel hubs were $350 EACH at Dodge.. I was able to buy them for $65 online.. Installed them at 135k miles on the Van.. The Van now has 215k miles and the $65 front wheel hubs are still going strong, so they seem to be at least as good as the factory ones..

navguy12 likes this.
  10. Kevin Nguyen

Kevin Nguyen Member

Hopefully Hyundai will give the owner option to keep the car or return to them , even they can give the owner an opportunity to upgrade to Ioniq 5. Myself will not consider a Hyundai product anytime soon. I’m waiting for my Kona battery pack replacement. Either Hyundai buy back the car or i will sell it anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

11. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

I would be all over an upgrade to an Ioniq5.
    Now if more Konas keep catching on fire, Hyundai better start replacing these batteries asap or outright buy them back. I'm definitely not comfortable knowing that there is a possibility this thing is gonna catch on fire.
    Is Hyundai gonna cover my house insurance if it catches my place on fire and the house insurance blames it on me for having recalled vehicle in my driveway.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Kevin Nguyen

Kevin Nguyen Member

It is actually awful. My car is sitting at the dealership 30 days, and no clue when they have a new battery. Talking about 80000 battery is a huge problem. If the Ioniq 5 cost around 40k , I can see no reason to buy the Kona. I’m so lucky that I did not pay for a mark up on the Kona when it first came out.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  14. XtsKonaTrooper

Did they give you a loaner. ?

15. Kevin Nguyen

Kevin Nguyen Member

Yep, I have been using the ice santa fe when my car went bricked. They have many EV on slot but won’t give me it as a loaner.

16. XtsKonaTrooper

I definitely hope I get a crossover as a loaner.
    I think in the end , it would be better for consumer retention and confidence to just offer to buy them back as an option. imo.
    They hit it out of the park with the Kona and if it keeps having recalls pol are not gonna be impressed.

Kevin Nguyen likes this.
  17. I think there are hints that Hyundai and LG are splitting costs. That could mean a $1.8 billion dollar total cost. It could also mean that the packs are closer to $22 000 wholesale costs.

eurokeitai likes this.
  18. XtsKonaTrooper

That makes alot more sense.
    8000 for labour then to bring it around 30k, which they usually quote.

19. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

If you are in California or any State that has a Lemon Law you should look into it. California was the first to pass one; others have followed. Under the California Lemmon Law you can get back your down payment, every payment you made since buying OR Leasing the car, and you will be released from your obligation to make any further payments. The only deduction is an amount for miles driven. In addition your Attorney gets his attorney fees from Hyundai, not from the money he or she recovers for you. Not all the States have a Lemon Law and they are not all the same. Google Lemon Law in your State and you will probably get a hit for hundreds of attorneys in addition to an explanation of the Law. In California when I googled it the First Hit was an attorneys office named "Lemon Law Expert". When you get your settlement you can buy a Kona EV or any other Car you want. Your waiting for Hyundai to fix your car will be over. I have been waiting for Hyundai to replace my original Infotainment System for 3 months, but I can still drive my car. I just don't like the new system they put in my car without my knowledge or permission. When I mentioned I was thinking of getting a Lemmon Law Lawyer Hyundai called and practically begged me not to saying just give us more time and we can work this out. They haven't done anything except stall me for another month. Not talking about the Dealer. Talking about Hyundai America Headquarters in Fountain Valley, California about 14 miles from my house and just a few miles from Disneyland.

20. Kevin Nguyen

Kevin Nguyen Member

Thank you for your advice! I do know that my car qualifies for lemon law. Hyundai Rep call me this Monday and told me that he will request a buy back to the Corporate. It take 3-5 days to get approved then he will look at the sale contract and the mileage of the car. Now I’m waiting for my Tesla model 3.

navguy12 likes this.
  21. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

Unless they replace my Battery with a Higher Mileage Battery I won't let Hyundai touch my car. If you read my prior post on this Forum I started out with a 325 mile range when I picked up my car in December 2019. I charged it a few times after that and got the same 325 miles. Not a problem until I got a recall notice for a Battery Safety Issue sometime in January 2020. Like an idiot I took it in and when the dealer finished with the Safety Issue they gave it back with 297 miles of EV range. Yes the battery was Fully Charged. Since then I have charged the car approximately 12 to 15 times. The highest EV Mileage I got after all these charges was 311 miles and that was 5 days ago. Despite other members on this forum assuring me my 325 or higher would come back after more charges, (I think some said after just a few more) it hasn't happened. I remember
    Hyundai told me in January 2021 they were going to work up a Buy Back Proposal and call me within a week. That is when they Begged me not to hire a Lawyer. They have sent me two emails. Each one is the same, saying they were going to call me with a Buy Back proposal. The last Email was 6 days ago stating they were going to call me yesterday, Tuesday March 2, 2021. Never heard from them, as usual.

22. Kevin Nguyen

Kevin Nguyen Member

It’s alway like that. It’s easy to buy their car, but when they have to honor their warranty seem like very difficult to them. My car is totally dead unlike your is drivable. I will piss off if they push me on a long time for buying back. My Tesla is ready , and I need fund to off set the new loan. Also I don’t want to pay this month since it’s in the shop since 2/1/21. I used to call the Rep and check with him rather than let them call me.

23. Saw this morning that LG will pay 70% of the costs.

electriceddy and Wildeyed like this.