Kona Bluelink charge limit removed after buyback..

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Jul 15, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Since I surrendered my Kona to Sedgwick, I still can check the car on bluelink. Looks like they removed the 80% charge limit on the car via bluelink.. Interesting ..

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. That's not a bug, that's a feature of the bluelink app; access does not change when ownership changes.

If that access doesn't get revoked, you could get a huge discount when you repurchase it by showing the uninformed dealer that it only has 10% or 20% of expected range.

Wildeyed likes this.
  4. FloridaSun

What I mean is that after Campaign P29, Hyundai limited the maximum charge level via bluelink to 80%. You were NOT able to adjust the maximum charge level over 80%.. Once I handed over the car to Sedgwick it appears that they unlocked setting bluelink charge limit to 90 or 100%..

5. My previous EVs (2 Nissan and 1 Hyundai) also allowed me to access the software after selling (or in your case a buyback) at which point I removed those vehicles from any app I happened to enrolled with. There is probably a delay before that is automatically updated.
    I felt it would be prudent to do that for the sake of the future owner;)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  6. FloridaSun

In case of the buyback, it will likely be a while until the car has a new owner.. It's sitting at my local Hyundai dealer right now.. Not sure if they are going to do the battery swap first before Hyundai Corporate will put the car into auction..
    I'm just checking the car's location until they disconnect my access.. If the car won't be started for 4 days, Bluelink will disconnect automatically..

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Here's a concern: Data erasure of your former car of contacts, routes, and other data. I think Hyundai provides a procedure to erase but I have not read it yet. All cars, not just Hyundai, store and aggregate your contacts if allowed via bluetooth.

Your car is spying on you is a description of the problem but does not discuss solutions. https://theintercept.com/2021/05/03/car-surveillance-berla-msab-cbp/

electriceddy likes this.
  9. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

My car was bought back in December, and I still get the occasional BlueLink message. I still get the reminders to come in for "service" to set the charge limit to 80%. The last I saw, it was at an auction lot in Manheim PA.

10. Interesting. Mine was parked 60 miles away for two weeks before I turned it in two days ago. After the first week the app said it had shut down the response function to save the 12v battery, and I couldn't see it any more.
    Yesterday I got a message that someone had hit the panic button. Guess the dealer techs haven't been trained on that remote control yet.

Right now the limit is still at 80%, and a good thing because they're charging it up. I wonder if they are inspecting it to see if it meets their criterion for needing a new battery, or if they can wholesale it out right away.

It's going to stop charging in 45 minutes when it hits my peak time-of-use rate period. I think I'll leave it alone and see if they can figure it out.

So yours didn't shut down the tracking?

Stb105 likes this.
  11. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Right now I can't check - it has been inactive for too long. They charged it back in May, and the email I got had the address in it.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I wonder if they're is a way to figure out where and how they're going to auction it off. I would seriously be interested in bidding on it. I would buy it back with a new battery installed and it would be my wife's car for a two EV household. I would have a different EV at that point.

14. I've often seen the charge limit showing incorrectly as 100%/100% in the Bluelink app when it was really 80%. Sometimes refreshing the data shows it correctly. For example, after the dealer charged my surrendered car up to 80%, the limit showed as 100%, and it still did this morning. But I refreshed the car's data, and now it's reading 80% again.
    A quick google turns up this explanation of buying as an individual at a wholesale auction. Possibly they or another similar company could answer your questions. Let us know.

15. @Toolworker Hm, very interesting. I will look into that.

16. FloridaSun

I no longer have access to the car. It disconnects if the car sits for 4 days..
    Hyundai paid off the Kona and I'm supposed to get a $1400 check for my last 2 payments.

17. Spoonman.

Spoonman. Member

Same with my C-Max Energi; the Ford app kept me connected after I sold it to Vroom until I disconnected it after the used car lot in Baltimore sold it.

18. why did you surrender it?

19. FloridaSun

Buyback due to battery recall and 80% charge limit.. I had a summer trip planned that I could not have completed with 80% charge limit as there are over 200 miles between chargers on the longest leg of the trip. That's not doable at 80% charge with the Kona and I would have had to spend about $2000 for plane tickets and rental car.. So, I ended up buying a car that can make that trip. It was time for me to upgrade anyways as I needed more space, towing ability and a better charging Network...

20. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

It's very simple. The Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. I still get emails from my Mazda dealer that my Mazda is due for service. I have not owned that car for 3 Years. Ignore the emails or letters.

Toolworker likes this.
  21. Haha, I still get that for my old Prius, haven't owned it for 2.5 years now.

22. Suzanne Roth

Suzanne Roth Member

Yes interesting. I’ll be surrendering mine in couple weeks. Final paperwork being prepared.

23. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I got a new BlueLink alert today - someone pushed the panic button. Car is now at this address "5260 Main St, East Petersburg, PA 17520". It looks like there is a Hyundai dealer there.:rolleyes: