Kia e-niro (EV)2020 wheezy,howling sound when cold

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Heikki Perttula, Dec 8, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Has anyone experienced this wheezy,howling sound from the engine bay when it is cold in the morning and you start driving?
    temperatures below -15 celcius...
    the sound follows the engine revs and goes higher when accelerating and lower frequency when letting the throttle off.
    The sound disapperars after half an hour or so when the car warms up...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. tr6tevens

tr6tevens New Member

Is the sound the same while the car is in reverse? How about if you shift to neutral while the car is moving? I wonder if it might have to do with a bearing, or cold oil in the gear reduction unit.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

4. Wayne C

Wayne C New Member

Seems to be not that uncommon in cold weather.

5. Thanks.this car in the video is not yours?if it is could you tell whether you ve checked the sound at the service and was it "normal" due to the cold or something else...

6. Wayne C

Wayne C New Member

No that is not my video. That was one of FinlandTony's videos. I'm in Canada. Maybe you could contact Tony through the comments in the you tube video. Looks like you are both in Finland.
    Good Luck.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Yuri Niro

Yuri Niro New Member

I’m becoming more and more convinced that this is the sound of gears in the reduction gearbox. I also experience it when the temperature here in Moscow goes lower than -10 degrees Celsius. The oil gets too viscous and doesn’t lubricate the gears properly. Oil with lower viscosity in severe frost should solve the problem

9. It's certainly my expectation as well. The OEM oil may be mineral and just changing to a synthetic such as Redline MT-LV may help with a pour point of -60C.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
  10. Some of the more adventurous and technically-knowledgeable Leaf owners over at MyNissanLeaf are experimenting with a ultra-low viscosity ATF. This would be ideal for the OP because a thinner oil will reduce or eliminate this noise. ATF oils in general are a more sophisticated version of the 70W GL-4 that our Hyundai/Kia EVs already use with the same viscosity and extreme pressure rating but also with friction modifiers to suit the clutches. The Leaf gear reducer is almost exactly the same design as the one we have and is specified to use an ATF. This ULV ATF has a viscosity of 4.5 instead of 6 at 100°C.

https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/automatic-transmission-products/ulv

[​IMG]