Kia Connect not available in Massachusetts due to Right to Repair law

Discussion in 'Kia EV6' started by gmwalk, Apr 20, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. gmwalk

gmwalk New Member

Hi,
    I am in the process of buying a 2022 EV6 GT Line. I live in MA. What features of Kia Connect are not available? WiFi hotspot, navigation, music streaming,..

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MetrowestMA

MetrowestMA New Member

The entire thing is turned off -- only thing you get is e-mails when your car finishes charging. No unlock, no remote start, no data, no service minders, pretty much nothing. This is very disappointing and the dealer played dumb about this. We have a 2021 Palisade, and I miss the app features.

I would try and buy the car in CT, NY, or NH -- there are dealers that will sell it for MSRP. It has to do with where the car is sold, so even if you move out of MA, they claim they will not turn it on.

Also, try and get the total price below 50K to get the additional 2.5K state rebate. If you are trading in a car the dealer can adjust this.

I support right to repair, but he state legislature screwed up the law requiring automakers to conform to a standard that doesn't exist. As someone who works on cars myself, getting them to give you the service software and ODB codes would be more useful than the telemetry data which is probably incredibly complicated and non standardized.

Also, electricity in MA is very expensive (I believe only Hawaii). I think at $4 a gallon you are driving at 1/2 price in MA. If prices go to $2 it is beak even (in MA).

The state could do a lot more, like giving lower rates at night.

Good Luck -- I have had mine for about a week and love the car so far! I have had about 4 people ask me about it in parking lots.

I got an EV-6 Wind AWD, I didn't think the GT line for me was worth the extra dough, plus I wanted the 2.5K rebate from MA.

One other note, some of the electronic features like auto dimming lights, highway driving assist, climate control, and auto wipers don't seem to work quite as well as they do in our 2021 Palisade even though it seems like the exact same software and control system. Maybe it's just bugs they need to work out.

gmwalk likes this.
  4. gmwalk

gmwalk New Member

Thanks for the reply. This is a very disheartening situation. I wish that Mass and Kia could have resolved this better. It sounds like other car makers have managed to provide similar services without punishing customers as Kia has done.