Keyless entry reliability

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Phive_Phinger_Dan(), Aug 25, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Phive_Phinger_Dan()

Phive_Phinger_Dan() New Member

Does the MINI SE have keyless entry? If so has there been any reliability issues with it?

I don’t see many posts on this so I assume it’s not really an issue. However my current car a 2012 Cadillac CTS has scarred me. I’ve replaced the micro switches in the door handles 8 times in the 6 years I’ve owned the car. It would probably have been more times if I didn’t leave them broken for years before replacing them.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I guess we only have a couple years of Comfort Access usage on the SE, but it works well!

94A5E21C-310C-4C79-9902-1275D6D68A3A.jpeg

Phive_Phinger_Dan() and SameGuy like this.
  4. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

I wonder if you had a lemon. I have had keyless entry on multiple cars without problems. I’ve had my SE for 19 months now and it still works flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Rexsio and Phive_Phinger_Dan() like this.
  5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

MINI has had this (they call it "comfort access") for over a decade, it's extremely reliable. You can't lock the key in the car, and you can't start the car without the key being inside the car.

When I see "keyless entry" I now think of digital key, like Tesla has. And supposedly BMW was going to support Apple's version, but I haven't heard anything about it recently, nor whether it's ever coming to the MINI.

6. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

The lock/unlock has been perfect for me after a year. Nublet button is a little dated these days, but is tried and true.

Starting the vehicle on the other hand has been a little wonky the last 2 months. About 1 out of 20 tries I need to hold the key at the column because it thinks it's missing. Makes me think that "can't lock the keys inside" feature isn't totally bullet proof when I can lock/unlock from outside, but cannot start from inside.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Sounds like a battery issue. Or maybe you grabbed the second key which isn’t set to a profile yet?

9. Puppethead

Replace the battery in the fob, a low battery is what's causing that issue.

10. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

Always same key. All provided keys are coded to the vehicle and should work the same.
    Worth a try, but a year seems soon for how much it's driven. The random occurrence and only inside the vehicle seems odd, never had it fail outside. My guess was more on interference since timeline roughly aligns with my dashcam install.

11. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

I had to replace the key fob battery on the Land Rover after a little over 1 year due to the same symptoms. They don’t last as long as you might think.

carrrl likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Remember, your fob is always active, waiting, waiting, waiting until your MINI is nearby so it can verify you're the one your MINI was waiting for. Or does the MINI key fob use RFID? If so, cancel my waiting scenario and keep scratching your head about why your SE's Start/Stop button doesn't respond to your fob.

14. Puppethead

There are many reasons the battery could need replacing: buttons could be depressed when in your pocket, keeping the fob active; battery was partially spent when "new"; weather conditions.

I once lost my key fob for a previous Clubman outside but a week or so later I luckily found it near my driveway! Battery was dead, but after replacing it the fob worked normally.

carrrl likes this.
  15. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

I have this problem too. Usually it's when my key is in a bag right next to my cellphone. My Countryman also had this problem.

carrrl likes this.
  16. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

It’s an okay system. Same BMW CAS module. I’ve replaced some drivers side door handles (bmw only and comes from Germany directly) and CAS modules themselves. It’s a pretty common issue on F10 5er, F30 3er. Only mini handles I’ve replaced were early f55 f56. The first two years of production are sorta meh. Crank pulley failures, shifter failures, door wiring harnesses

battery replacement is actually listed somewhere in the service list. I suggest once a year. CR2032 are cheap and DIY

17. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

5 Mini's, 19+ years, I've only had to replace one fob battery. Now, the only time I touch my key fob is when I change my pants.

Irish Mini likes this.
  18. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

Figured out my issue - metal credit card in same pocket...

insightman, chrunck and Texas22Step like this.
  19. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Change battery in key fob or use second fob and see if a problem persists.

20. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

I just posted directly above - it's a metal card interfering, not a battery issue.

21. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

My main fob got weak after a month. A month on, I still haven't changed the battery. I often need to hold it to the window to unlock. My spare will unlock from a good 20 feet away.

22. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Active Member

I've not had any problem with ours unlocking or starting the car.

What I do have a problem with is reliably setting the correct driver profile when using the fob. I can understand it when my wife and I are both in the car, me with my key in pocket and hers in her purse. I can see that the car wouldn't know which one to use. But even when I'm by myself, the car doesn't reliably set my profile for the radio.

rob

23. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I got two different surrounds for the fobs, a polished one and a tricolor Union flag one, so I never grab the one without my profile. I suppose I could just make them both match my profile because the second key is a spare…