Key Fob Enhancement

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by jwzimm, Aug 6, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. jwzimm

jwzimm Active Member

Hey all,

I wanted to share with everyone here a pretty awesome modification that really improved the key FOB for me. When I picked up my SE I was a little disappointed in the key FOB's that came with the car. The are similar to previous generation FOBs but seem fatter but also, weirdly, lighter. Come to find out the round portion of the FOB is completely hollow and there only for show (and to make the FOB more bulky in your pocket). I searched around a bit and found that is actually pretty easy to change this out. I found this Amazon product that comes in a variety of paint jobs. I opted for the polished look. It shipped from China but only took a few days. When I got it I was stunned to find out that is it SOLID METAL!! It feels super high quality and really transforms the key FOB! I really like it. :)

IMG_2693.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MarkSasaki

MarkSasaki Active Member

I also got one, it is the carbon pattern. It is made out of metal, not sure what it is though. It is not magnetic but it is also not light like aluminum. Maybe stainless steel? It is really heavy for what it is. IMG_2775 Large.jpeg

abrandt, Alf_W and SameGuy like this.
  4. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I like design looks great but with few keys on it you going to open your trunk accidentally pretty often .

5. MarkSasaki

MarkSasaki Active Member

Actually, that does happen if I have stuff in my pocket or my pants are tight. It is pretty irritating.

6. Wreckless117

Wreckless117 Well-Known Member

Found mine on Etsy, full metal and heavy, kinda gunmetal color keeps it classy. Made a good pairing with my old-ish carabiner (1 piece machined titanium). PXL_20220807_004654496~2.jpg

SameGuy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Is anybody there who locate a fob cover going over on front of key fob like heavy silicone to be stiffer to prevent accidentally press those batons once in our pockets. I have the same problem with I 3 I always open front Frunk before I exit my garage.I have to get out of a car and shut a crab.After 6 years using a fob on I3 all front was gone just wear.

9. jwzimm

jwzimm Active Member

They say in the listing it is Titanium but I kinda doubt that. Ti is pretty expensive and would be lighter. It is probably stainless steel. In any case, it is pretty nice!

The reviews do say the paint can chip but since I got the polished version I am hoping that will be avoided.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

SameGuy likes this.
  10. MarkSasaki

MarkSasaki Active Member

It is definitely not Ti but I like the added weight, makes it feel higher end.

11. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with my SE so I disabled the trunk button in the car menu.

But I still have a problem with button presses when in my pocket which keeps the car from sleeping and causes my SE to give an error that the 12 V battery is draining. I've adopted a new habit of removing my key from pocket when I'm at work since I can't park far enough away to be out of range.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

At least we have in SE 50 AH when BMW I3 have only 20 AH whenin charging works correctly we have plenty of juice to use for all our accessories

14. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

But I was sow lucky my 20 AH battery works for me for 7 years from production date AMG battery from Germany

15. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

A cosmetic looks of key fob is now help is still no doing a job to prevent accidental triggering a batons

16. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

BMW should do something about key fobs different design as I have a $ 100000 BMW belongs to my son and I tray to wash a car to be good father that **** was beeping and mirrors closing doors opening as long I keep a fob in my pocket must be some solution from BMW

17. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

28EF4513-ECD1-475A-8454-46D3719EC258.jpeg

18. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

BMW as I believe you read that to have some input from customers reset those buttons on fobs a little bit below a service 1/4” and shouldn’t be issue any more and send me money for design.

19. Wreckless117

Wreckless117 Well-Known Member

What I did is just increase the amount of time you have to "hold" the button before the pop. Eliminated all accidental openings. Can adjust the hold time for all buttons but I only did the trunk.

20. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I try tomorrow. It as long I have no keys on my fob I don’t experience any problems to trigger a buttons

21. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I've seen a lot of those key-fob slimmers, but I'm holding out for one that is cleverly customized for the SE.

SameGuy likes this.
  22. jwzimm

jwzimm Active Member

For the ~$30 for this it was worth the benefit. If something bespoke for the SE comes out (like an Energetic Yellow one for example) I would probably grab it but for now, it has vastly improved my FOB.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

insightman likes this.
  23. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

Slightly off topic, but what does the trunk button actually do? Is the trunk supposed to actually open on its own? My button seems to make the trunk click, but you wouldn’t notice anything if you weren’t next to it actively listening.

SameGuy likes this.