Just purchased the 2021 Ultimate curious about the best options for winter tires

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Lisa Gordon, Jun 5, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Lisa Gordon

Lisa Gordon New Member

Just purchased the 2021 Ultimate (super excited) and take possession Monday afternoon!

I'm curious about the best options for winter tires. We have long winters but not really fresh or wet snow on the roads (more dry snow) but they don't plow enough so the roads (except highways) tend to be super hard packed snow/ice with ruts. On my last car I needed studded tires because the car was light and the tires small. Thoughts on if I need studded with the Kona EV for hard ice?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Having lived in places like you are describing I'd say that studs are always a good idea. Snow tires can improve traction greatly, but mostly on snow. Nothing really makes a big difference on hard packed ice like studs. It's incredible to see cars racing on ice covered lakes with massively studded tires, but they can do that only because of the studs. Conventional snow tires wouldn't stand a chance. I have Nokian snow tires and they are impressive in winter weather, but ice is not the norm where I live. If it were, I would have gotten them studded.

4. Lisa Gordon

Lisa Gordon New Member

Thanks :) That tracks with what I was thinking too. Most places I've lived it's more snow but here it's hard cold ice more often. I had studs the last couple years on my accent but that car was very light and tiny 14" tires so I thought it might have just been the car was terrible in winter lol

5. NRH

NRH Active Member

That's not my experience. We have an uphill gravel driveway, so in winter, it's basically an ice-road. Friends with studded snows universally have more trouble getting up the road than our cars, which have always have "studless" snows. (NOT "studdable" - I'm talking about tires that are designed and compounded to NOT have studs - Bridgestone Blizzak, Michelin Ice-X etc). The rubber those tires are made from sticks to ice better than studs do.

In addition to better ice and snow performance, studless tires are quieter, and have better stopping distance on wet and dry pavement.

Shark likes this.
  6. Bridgestone Blizzaks have been performing very well for two winters here in southern Maine. Ice on the road is always difficult but the tires handle it pretty well at appropriate speed. Reduce your regen level and brake gently when slowing.

Lisa Gordon likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Murry

Murry Member

I’m driving mine with Michelin Alpine Sport during the winter season and they’re great.

Lisa Gordon likes this.
  9. Michelin XIce i3s - great handling, quiet very little mileage drop.

10. BernieNS

BernieNS New Member

Sub-zero season coming up. So just installed Michelin Xice Snow tires, and am very impressed so far. Quieter than the Nexen OEMs, which are down to 5 and 6mm thread after 12000kms. There's just no substitute for a premium set of tires. Expensive to buy but better value in the long run.
    Note to self: Shovel, salt sand, snow brush, winter emergency kit, tow rope, jump leads or booster pack.(We're still dependent on that 12v battery)

11. Had those tires from the get-go. I'm always a bit disappointed in Spring when I switch back to the Nexens.

BernieNS likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I like my Hakkapeliita R3 tires (non studded). Yesterday I was way way up a forestry road in the mountains when I encountered a 4wd chevy truck that got stuck. Then a jeep pulled up. Both the chevy and jeep got stuck multiple times in the act of turning around, but my Kona never did. So much time spent on unstucking the two 4wd trucks that my showshoe hike was ruined, lol.

FWIW I was driving a Bolt (electric) on studded nokians last winter. The studs were great on icy days, but all I could hear was tire noise because the car was otherwise so quiet. I drove the same Bolt again recently and the studs were much more worn down. A bit quieter, but less traction too. So studs are great when new, if you can stand the noise, but the traction advantage doesn't last long.

electriceddy likes this.
  14. Great story, happy to hear your Kona did so well and everyone else got out OK.
    I will bet the owners of the 4WD vehicles may take a second look at EVs, particularly with the latest offerings from Ford and GM.
    :)
    Edit: sorry your hike was cut short.

15. I put Sumitomo "Ice Edge" snows on a spare set of rims for Winter.
    Decent value, sufficient grip.

16. Third winter with the Blizzaks, still good but definitely less sticky on icy roads this season. I suspect the the soft rubber top layer has worn down. Still lots of snow clearing tread but kind of disappointing that the excellent ice performance only lasted two winters for a premium tire. I was hoping for at least 3-4 winters. I think I am going to try the Hakkapoliitas next.