Just had coolant changed, now this crazy clicking noise...

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by C02less, Jan 6, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Just got home from my coolant change at the dealer and now I have a rapid loud clicking noise which stops and starts. I noticed the noise with the car in park, so it's not from the traction motor or drivetrain. Sounds a bit like a valve rapidly oscillating. I sent a video to the dealer (too big to upload here) but the dealer is stumped. The dealer is supportive and will deliver a free loaner and tow my car in. I will let the car heat cycle overnight to see if the coolant burps which I hope might solve the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or would like to speculate what the problem is, or suggestions for diagnosis?

Thanks
    Knoa.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Are you referring to the expensive blue "low-conductivity" coolant? No doubt you are. I'm not certain the following is the problem but you should be aware of this in any case. I posted this in a new thread a few weeks back.

There's been a significant issue with classic Ioniq models that have the same coolant, particularly in Australia and the UK. There's a chemical stability problem that causes it to crystallize when exposure to air. It slows or blocks coolant flow and the unusual pump speed signals to the car that the "coolant level is low".

According to information just posted today Hyundai have produced a TSB on the issue. This is the info from a dealer in Norway:

upload_2023-1-7_16-0-13.png

navguy12 likes this.
  4. Thanks KiwiME! I am attempting to reproduce the problem today to see if the overnight heat cycle has burped an air bubble (although the coolant level in the reservoir did not change so I doubt it). The mechanic did say he had a tough time bleeding the coolant. He says that the dealership usually uses a special tool to suck out coolant during a coolant change on ICE cars, but it didn't work on mine. Perhaps an EV variant or adapter of this coolant sucker is the special tool referred to in the TSB? I will look for a coolant low light on my test drive but I didn't notice one yesterday.

A few more details: I didn't notice the noise until I had driven home from the dealership, about 90 minutes at highway speeds. Temperature outside was about 0C / 32F and I had the cabin heat on the whole time. The replacement coolant was the older spec low-conductivity blue 07100-J2A20. The refill used 12.5 litres which means that about 1 litre of old fluid remained and/or there is an air pocket in the cooling system.

navguy12 likes this.
  5. After a couple of heat cycles noise is less now, more like a buzzing, but it seems to get worse with longer drives. The service manager himself delivered the loaner car and listened to the noise. You can feel the vibrations most strongly on the hose that leads to the heater core. It will need to be towed back to the dealership, unfortunately. At least the dealership's response to this problem has been excellent so far.

navguy12 likes this.
  6. It can only be a failing or otherwise unhappy coolant pump. Hopefully it's not indicative of anything more serious.

navguy12 and insightman like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Thanks again KiwiME. I am bumfuzzled how a coolant pump can break during a coolant change. I will update the forum once more is known.

navguy12, electriceddy and KiwiME like this.
  9. Only if run dry during the flush, perhaps when the valve was switching pumps from electronics cooling to battery cooling during the service cycle assuming adequate fluid was supplied during the replacement. This may have fried a sensor as well, either detecting access current flow in the pump motor or pressure sensor...have to look it up.
    Please do get back to us with the results and hopefully it is repaired within too long.
    BTW, possible to show invoice showing the costs and materials/labor charged?

navguy12 likes this.
  10. Yes I will keep the forum up to date on how this goes.

Charges for the coolant change were: $99 for labour, $85 per 2l jug of coolant (7 required), plus taxes and shop fees. I shopped around including dealerships in the Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle area and the price at my local dealership was among the best. FYI to my American friends - this service was actually cheaper in Canada, so it's worth considering if you live near the border.

I would also advise anyone to inquire if the dealership has done this service before. I did ask my dealership this but it turns out they lied and my car is their learning tool. Still, I would rather have this hassle closer to home.

navguy12 likes this.
  11. Anyone know if the coolant pump is an impeller type or a diaphragm type? In my experience impeller pumps don't make that kind of noise when they fail, but a diaphragm or other reciprocating pump might.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Given their shape and how they feel when running, I would doubt reciprocal...

_H*

14. Problem resolved! It was just air in the system. The mechanics at the dealership consulted their helpline and bled it one more time with good results. No more noises. All's well that ends well (and if not there is still another 40,000km warranty on the cooling system).

Too bad there was a hassle, but I was impressed with the efforts of the dealership to solve it.

15. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Thanks for the update. Your hassle will undoubtedly benefit other owners experiencing this noisy problem.

navguy12 likes this.