Just had another recall done - Campaign T5V for BMS (Feb 2021)

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Tim94549, Feb 24, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

So another month another recall. The printed recall sheet = "KONA EV Inspection & BMS Update for Revised Monitoring Logic Application (Service Campaign T5V)"

Has to do with after last campaign 196 ... Checking the "ROM ID" of the battery pack.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Kevin Nguyen

Kevin Nguyen Member

Look like they will limit your charge down to 90% in order to prepare for a battery replacement. Btw do you have a 19 model?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Nope.. As a test, that evening, I in fact charged to 100% when I got home from the service center. I DID note that I now get only 290 miles on a 100% Charge. (Last summer I got 300 & 311 on 2 different 100% charges.) Soul EV Spy shows all my cells at 4.14-4.16 amps at 100% charge. I don't normally charge to 100% .. always just to 80% unless I have a long trip planned. I really have to wonder if a "FULL BATTERY REPLACEMENT" will happen to ALL Kona's in the USA ... Yea, I've seen the supposed RECALL plan from Hyundai.

5. Kevin Nguyen

Kevin Nguyen Member

Yea man, there is informations everywhere in the internet that makes the owner confused. hyundai should have addressed it on their website or issue a notice somehow

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. CharlyM

CharlyM Member

BMS update wasn’t properly applied to some cars previously, this « recall » is just to check that it is.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Me too, I had recall update to my 2019, & I lost 10% on my charges, right afterwards.....woulda been nice if they told owners!

9. What is your source for this?

10. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Any time that they do an update, your range will go back to default. As you drive for the next 300 miles, your range will get back to where it was.. I checked my VIN and there are no open recalls for my 2019.. I had 2 battery recalls done (Campaign 960, 196) and of course the brake system upgrade..

11. When I last went in, I only had 1 open recall (brake one) when I checked it, but there were 2 more that the dealer had.

FloridaSun likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I agree - the HYUNDAI VIN Recall site doesn't seem to have the same info as at the Dealerships. I had checked mine online and nothing showed as due. However when I chatted with the Service center about a separate issue, she said I had an open recall due. I told her I was "just in early December for a recall". She said this just came out early FEB. I also got a 4 page print out of the Recall. It is functionally a check of the Battery Mgt System (BMS) for faulty (out of tolerance) batteries. I can snap some pics of it if anyone wants to see it. And yes, I had 2 OTHER "BMS Recalls" & the "BRAKING Recall" done last year as well.

Wildeyed and R P like this.
  14. People tend to use the word "recall" a bit too loosely. There are "service campaigns" that have nothing to do with recalls. Recall has a specific legal meaning. This could explain difference between the recall website(s) and the dealer(s).

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    lars2885 likes this.
  15. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Thanks for clarifying ... Yea, I'm one of those using the term as if one in the same.. This in fact was a "SERVICE CAMPAIGN" ... I've attached a pic & will try to change the SUBJECT header to be more accurate. Thanks !

20210307_143314.jpg