Is the Kona EV dead in Canada?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by apu, Jan 19, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I tried to look up Kona EV on the online configurator today which is now unavailable because they are simply "sold out" with no option to order, weird.
    Considering the pricing for a Kona is virtually no different than a better spec Ioniq 5 I have to wonder if 2022 model is the rumored swan song for the Kona EV. I suppose they may just not want to commit to 2023 ordering or pricing, nonetheless interesting.
    I see they are still available online in the US market but they seem to have a better unsold inventory situation.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Good find, perhaps you may be correct.
    Sorry to see it go, however the love will still be there :rolleyes::(

Bruce M. likes this.
  4. I suppose it could also be due to the semiconductor chip shortages as well. If it does return I don't see how they are going sell any unless they drop the price further especially if you compare it to the Ioniq 5 marketing. I imagine since its stop sale in Korea they may have already retooled their manufacturing resources to other ventures in the E-GMP platform and we would likely have to source Konas from the Czech Republic plant. Not sure how cost effective it would be to do that as I suspect their European manufacturing unit cost are probably higher. The lower spec Indian made Kona EV would likely be a non starter import in North America.

Its a shame if they kill the Kona after only 4 model years, especially in the context of future affordable parts availability. I still find it interesting how the Kona was one of the best EVs available only 3 years ago(its still pretty awesome) but the tech improvements are clearly moving much faster. I feel confident even the Ioniq 5 will be disrupted perhaps to obsolescence in less time if longer range solid or semi solid state lithium batteries hit manufacturing levels. More than ever I am convinced we are buying disposable laptops on wheels. We live in interesting times.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
    Kirk, Lars, Mark W and 1 other person like this.
  5. Ivan Salazar

Ivan Salazar New Member

No more Kona EV. The ICE Kona will still be around, but the 2022 is the last Kona EV. The Ioniq platform is the future for Hyundai. See video:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  6. I'd not be surprised if the Kona quietly disappears in NZ after stock is depleted. But even the classic Ioniq is still featured on Hyundia's NZ website.
    The Ioniq 5 is being heavily marketed now and the base model costs about the same as the base Kona. Both qualify for a significant govt subsidy and given a choice, well I'd have to go for the 5. It would cost less now than I paid for the Kona over 3 years ago, although with a bit less range.

upload_2022-1-20_17-20-4.png

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I believe I heard/read somewhere that the Kona will not be produced any more once the Ioniq5 becomes available. And honestly, it makes sense. Why would you produce a combustion engine car with a bolted on electric drive train if you developed a dedicated electric platform.

Still sad to see it go, it was and still is a great car and I miss mine.

Kirk and Green Tech Nerd like this.
  9. Ginginova

Ginginova Active Member

Kona EV will remain as cost effective EV option. New Ioniq lineup will be positioned as a more premium option.
    New Kona is due next year.

The base price of Ioniq 5 in Europe is in the same range as loaded Kona. But that is the problem. When you add options like larger battery, heat pump and others, Ioniq is then 35% more expensive.
    Ioniq 5 is also consuming more energy. So even with the largest battery with over 70 kWh it will get less range than 64 kWh Kona.

10. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

The Kona EV is a lower-end car than the Ioniq 5, not only in terms of price, but also size. In a moment, the company will show the new KIA eNiro, which will be the successor to the Kona EV / eNiro duo, perhaps a small Hyundai for Kona will also be offered

Clamps and miatadan like this.
  11. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

The Kona as an EV was already looking kind of dated. Limited maximum charge rate to 75kW really stands out.

I don't see anyone cross-shopping the Ioniq - they aren't at all comparable vehicles. My wife said the other day that if her VW Golf ever died, she might look at a Kona because she likes that it is kind of small. Ioniq isn't that at all.

miatadan and Clamps like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. The Ioniq5 is about an inch wider and taller and just under a foot longer than the Kona. I guess you're right, it is bigger but really?

It is mostly bigger inside because it's a dedicated EV platform.

miatadan likes this.
  14. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

There in no real reason for Hyundai to continue the Kona Electric or Kia to continue the eNiro as they are both not even close to the Ioniq 5 or EV6/ designed on dedicated EV platform. Further more they ( KonaEV - Kia eNiro ) look both dated , uses awful FWD drivetrain and if I remember Munro Live stated it reminded them of 1990's vehicle design and the interiors look like conventional ICE interior ( reason enough to avoid these 2 models )

If I was to purchase an EV from Hyundai, it only be the Ioniq 5.

15. Are you sure? I just looked it up and the Ioniq 5 is nearly a foot and half longer and three inches wider. Unless my source was wrong.

I’m okay with the Kona going away, as great as it is I think it was always a transitional EV. I should add, I’m okay as long as they replace it with another small hatchback/crossover car that is a ground up EV.

Just speaking personally I don’t like large cars/trucks and almost all the new EV’s are way too big to interest me.

OzKona and KiwiME like this.
  16. tanelv

tanelv New Member

Really interesting to hear other countries info. Here in Estonia the classic Ioniq has disappeared from the Hyundai Estonia website. And the price hike from base Kona to base Ioniq 5 is massive. Base Kona is nearly 30k € and base Ioniq 5 is 50k €. Of course the base Kona is 39 kWh and base Ioniq 5 is 72.6 kWh and already the base 5 is quite well equipped.

17. Ginginova

Ginginova Active Member

Kona is also more practical. Ioniq5 is a bling bling car, where you are afraid to scratch your wheels on almost every drive, where you need to park on the curb or drive on some not so great roads.
    I really hate this forcing towards 20+ inch wheels in a Tesla style manners.
    Some of us actually use our cars to drive around.

Lars, Clamps, Fastnf and 1 other person like this.
  18. From my point of view the charging speed is the only weak spot for the Kona otherwise I think it goes toe to toe with what is available today, especially considering it is a shared platform. Agree about the original style Kona, very forgettable style-wise but I really like the refreshed exterior.

Kirk, Bill Carter and Ginginova like this.
  19. I still love and will proudly continue to drive my "dated, awful FWD and forgettable" Kona EV with pride.
    It simply is the best value EV I have owned over the last 10 years.
    I think @apu stated the finest response...so far
    :)

lars2885, Lars, Bill Carter and 6 others like this.
  20. Yeah, what's not to like? Came out 3 or 4 years ago now, and still amongst the best for range, looks and drive-ability. And the Ultimate trim is loaded with features normally found in more expensive cars. And other than some recalls (incl new battery) and drive train issues (all fixed under warranty), the car has been totally reliable for me. What more could I want?...

But totally understand if Hyundai discontinues the EV version of the Kona. They now have the next gen EV being sold with the Ioniq 5 and others that will be using that platform. Looks like another great car. But not a big enough step forward for me to want to trade my Kona.

I will have owned my Kona now for almost 3 years, but still feels like a brand new car to me. No desire or even a slight itch to go shopping for something else.

Kirk likes this.
  21. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

Now, maybe not, R P, but when you see a new Kona Ev (or eNiro) you will feel this strange feeling in your stomach...
    They will be as small and neat, and probably better finished and more economical, with faster loading, and a modernized style - then you will feel the desire ;-)

22. Just to be clear, I don’t think the Kona is ugly at all, just very ordinary with some questionable design choices.

electriceddy likes this.
  23. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

It was the " just very ordinary " , along with the fwd that did not appeal to me at all. The Ioniq 5 is much better but as RP states it came out 3 or 4 years ago when there was not very many options.

You also have to consider what you drove/owned before ( ICE ) when looking for EV.

In my case past vehicle history ( 1982 Mustang coupe - used / 1993 Mustang LX 5.0 fastback / 1995 Mustang coupe 6 cyl / 1997 Mustang GT 4.6L coupe / 1999 Mustang GT 4.6L convertible / 2001 Mustang GT 4.6L convertible / 2003 Mustang GT 4.6L convertible / 2005 Mazda MX5 Miata / 2007 Mazda MX5 Miata and last vehicle I hated because it was FWD 2019 VW Jetta. This affects what you are looking for in driving characteristics / performance.

Dan