Is Mustang Mach E better than Tesla Model Y

Discussion in 'Mustang Mach-E' started by Fastnf, Jan 27, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. While both have excellent reviews Edmund's chose the Mustang Mach E as it choice between the two, stating it was more comfortable and got better range . In their range testing the premium extended range all wheel drive Mach E model got 304 mile which is almost 10% better than the epa estimate of 270 miles

https://apnews.com/article/technology-a0f8d014ad9404556a3ba253ef5a18d6

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Smoking Test gave the range at 255 miles. So the range is going to be all over the place depending on multiple factors.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Fastnf likes this.
  4. "Better" depends on a lot of different things, and is really subjective. Personally, I hate the cockpit of the Tesla Y and I'm not sure I entire trust a company run by a crazy man, so I lean towards the Mach-e.....but some people love the Tesla part of the Tesla Y, and like the maximally minimalist idea.

alexgorod and Fastnf like this.
  5. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

Ford doing this without emissions credits (unlike Tesla) is why I’m liking the Mach-e. The Mach-e is actually what brought me to this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Domenick likes this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Scrannel

Scrannel New Member

My wife is "interested" in a Mach E. I have a Tesla 3P. In the current world it seems the question is "where can you charge?" Make sure your choice of car doesn't become frustrating because of where you can charge.

navguy12 likes this.
  8. I think where you live makes a big difference in charging infrastructure. In California where I am there are over 500 CCS DCFC available. In the 2 years I have owned my Kona I have never had an issue finding a charger to drive any where I needed to. There are very few places I feel that I would not be able to take the Kona and most of those are out in the wild where there are no services of any kind.

9. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

Same experience with my Kona, in San Francisco. Investigate the charging infrastructure in your area using an app like Plugshare. And bear in mind that if you can charge at home you may hardly ever need to visit a commercial charging station.

10. MaryP

MaryP New Member

Except for those of us who take road trips and don't fly.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Scrannel

Scrannel New Member

Both the Mach E and the Tesla Y have pretty unimpressive ground clearance for a "cross-over". The Mach E has 5.7" while the Y is better at 6.6". (a model 3 comes in at 5.5"). And yes, I much prefer the Tesla interior to the Ford. Also I would guess -- and it's a guess -- that the OTA updates on the Tesla are currently the best OTA EV updates in the world. And, its charging infrastructure is amazing. But there is another issue: I have had great service from Tesla the very few times I needed it. I don't ever want to set foot in another "dealership" again as long as I live. Now my wife, who's interested in the Mach E, may not mind. But an impressive amount of diagnostic info can be done remotely from Tesla.

MaryP likes this.
  13. MaryP

MaryP New Member

Ground clearance can matter when you can't see a small obstacle that you could normally clear with some SUVs. I remember getting a plastic jug in the highway lodged under an Accord wagon because I couldn't get out of the way in time. Fortunately that didn't damage the car. Low tree stumps in a temporary out door parking area for a special outdoor event can be a surprise too. I encountered that once too. The Rav4 Prime has 8.2 inches clearance. The Model X appears to have 7 inches' ground clearance.

Four wheel drive options can help keep one from getting stuck on the side of the road, which happened to me once before too when I started to turn around once. Some electric cars may not offer it. I don't think Clarity plug in hybrid does.

14. In spite of what I wrote 2.5 months ago, I am waiting on delivery of my new Tesla Model Y......I decided I didn't want to wait on the Mach-e (longer here in Canada), and the lack of a heat pump made the difference, and I'll admit the lower ground clearance made a difference too.

15. Scrannel

Scrannel New Member

Good luck with your new machine! I have a M3P, which came lowered. So you're a monster truck by comparison.

16. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Three things would tilt me toward a Tesla Model Y: one, their charging network; two, I'm not so sure of Ford's commitment with respect to free OTA updates; and potential for level 4 driving in a Model Y vs a Ford Mach-E.

17. Roy2001

Roy2001 Member

Yeah, if you drive from SF to LA, charging would be a problem for Ford. Not bashing it, it is good SUV. Just charge network, you want to know there are plenty of superchargers on roadside when you drive long distance.

18. I have had no problem with charging networks when driving from Southern California to Oregon and back. A few weeks ago I drove up the 395 through Reno and on up to Klamath falls and on to La Pine and Eugene. Every charger I stoped at worked fine and half of them were free courtesy of Cal Trans. That’s just been my experience.

electriceddy likes this.
  19. Good to see California has that issue well in hand, would love to report that kind of success around here, eventually....maybe:rolleyes:

mho and Fastnf like this.
  20. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

I would definitely consider a Model Y or 3 except for one issue.

What happens with service and parts post warranty? Unlike other manufacturers, Tesla will not share service information and parts with independent garages.

Leaves you with no choice but to find a Tesla service center. Not only is it a problem in many areas of the country where they simply don't exist, Tesla has you by the you know what when it comes to pricing for out of warranty service and parts as you have no alternative but to go to them and pay the piper. And they don't sell extended warranties for the Model Y and 3.

My sister's Model S needed a new main information screen, and Tesla charged her more than $9000 in parts and labor to replace it. And all she could do was grin and bear it as she had no leverage or alternative. When she complained about the price, all she heard was "that's what we charge for this". And failing screens on older Model S's are commonplace.

DaleL, electriceddy and Fastnf like this.
  21. That
    That's the main reason I stay away from Tesla. I have always maintained built modified and raced my own cars. I usually have all of the factory service manuals. I have yet to find a mechanic who does a better job than I do myself.

DaleL and Danhen like this.
  22. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

Exactly.