Is it (really) better to heat the car while plugged in?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by ayryq, Mar 21, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Apologies if this has been covered and my search didn't find it. I'm wondering if there's a practical difference between heating the car while plugged in versus while driving. I understand that running the heater will reduce my range—substantially—but assuming I don't need the range for today's trip, is there any difference electrically?

If I heat while plugged in, it uses X kWh of electricity from my house to heat the car. (Or maybe it uses energy from the battery, which is simultaneously replenished from the house?)
    If I heat while driving, it uses Y kWh of electricity from the battery to heat the car, which will require longer charging tonight.
    Is X=Y, assuming my habits are the same after the cabin temperature has attained a comfortable level?
    Or maybe it's actually cheaper to heat while driving, since I run the heat at 70°F when I'm in the car, but the pre-heat runs it at "HIGH," potentially wastefully exceeding my desired temperature, heat that is also lost somewhat out the door when getting in the car.

Eric

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. That is exactly how it works, so cost wise no difference.
    Range improvement and instant comfort are the only benefits. With the heat pump in milder conditions, the current draw will be reduced once the heat level has reached selected temperature, so if planning a longer trip this might be a factor towards close to your destination arrival.

ayryq likes this.
  4. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

while when i get into my car on a cold day I turn the heat up to the maximum and the car is toasty in about 3 to 5 minutes. I don't think it takes up much range at all that's the advantage of the heat pimp.

5. Now I'm wishing I had one. Pretty sure it's not even an option on my USA 2022 Limited. Even though I live about 60 miles from the nearest point in Canada (as the crow flies).

Pastera likes this.
  6. Hopefully your charger can supply the full ~7.4 kW because the PTC heater uses around 5.5 kW according to my understanding.

navguy12 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

Other than comfort, the ability to preheat is a boon for people like me who park outside since it makes clearing snow and ice off the car in the morning an absolute breeze. No more cussing and fighting with the ice scraper or having to let the car idle for 15+ minutes!

If I had one wish, it would be for some form of defroster function in the charging port area just to help keep that area clear. It's only been an issue once, and it wasn't that big a deal, but I can easily imagine that whole thing getting clogged with ice.

Pastera likes this.
  9. It's a lovely convenience, when the App is used. Preheating while connected to mains power preserves range. For most of us, that's of no practical consequence.

I'm not about to pay for the service.

10. Absolutely, that's an important factor. It means being on time to work instead of late if you plan ahead a little. Agreed on the charger door, we had a fierce blizzard the night after we got the car and it was pretty well frozen shut. Normal snow didn't seem to be a problem but the blowing snow and ice sealed it right up.
    We have the 40A Grizzl-e on a 50A breaker. Hoping it's slightly future-proof.

11. Due to the vulnerable location, that is where a small optional heater would have been nice (and maybe a proper drain), another miss Hyundai:oops:

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. MBW NJ

MBW NJ New Member

Hi all, I just wanted to ask the audience...my car will not allow the remote climate control to turn on while being plugged into the charger (also a GrizzlE). I have the 2021 Ultimate Edition. I opened a support ticket for what I believed was a problem, but the response was that it was working as designed

14. If you aren't already, try locking the doors first.
    EDIT: I was assuming you were using bluelink... if you're trying from inside the car this probably won't help.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
  15. I'm confused by this. If you're preheating from inside the car isn't that just...heating?

16. I'm not sure what MBW NJ was asking. Maybe they're trying to use Bluelink to start climate control and it's not working. Maybe they're getting in the car and turning on climate control while the car is still plugged in, and that's not working. Their exact words were "will not allow..." which makes me think there is maybe an error message or something showing in the app or on the dash. In any case I suggest opening a new thread :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
    Wildeyed likes this.
  17. With similar logic, where is the boundary between "ordering" and "Pre ordering" and "booking" and Pre booking"?

Maybe if you pre-order or pre-book you have to sit in your car to do it:rolleyes:

Sorry, couldn't help myself:D

John Lumsden likes this.
  18. NRH

NRH Active Member

If you're preheating using the app, you can set the temperature you want it to heat to (at least you can on the US version).

19. Of course, but the default "winter" setting is high+defrost - which is actually useful if the windshield is snow- or frost-covered.

20. MBW NJ

MBW NJ New Member

I'm sorry that I wasn't clear. I am trying to use the Bluelink app to start the climate control command to warm up the car before leaving in the morning. If the car is unplugged from the charger, it works fine, but if the charger is still connected, I get an error message that climate control could not be started.

21. I have never had this happen with mine not have I heard others with this issue. Are there any other factors that change between when the car is plugged or unplugged?

22. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

If the car is actively charging at the time, it *might* cause a conflict. Just a guess on my part, but a variable to account for...

23. Sorry to repeat myself, but do confirm that the doors are locked before turning on the climate control. I've noticed some weirdness when the doors are unlocked.