Is GM Stock A Buy ?

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Oct 24, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Source: https://finance.yahoo.com/m/609b4789-da16-3547-8bcf-e2fd96ed7b1d/is-gm-stock-a-buy-as-general.html

GM stock, after stalling for close to a decade, suddenly has gotten a jolt of electricity. General Motors sales snapped back in the third quarter, both in the U.S. and China. Meanwhile, GM's three big future bets are all looking more promising. GM's new Ultium battery-powered 2022 Hummer EV sold out minutes after its unveiling this week. The deal to supply fuel cells for Nikola heavy-duty trucks may go forward after all. And its Cruise's driverless vehicle unit just passed a big milestone.

While General Motors is turning heads with its EV "supertruck" and all its other progress, its stock is still priced like an underdog. So is now a good time to buy GM stock?

I won't be selling my TSLA to buy GM stock because I have no confidence in GM:
    • Ultium battery - I am no fan of large format, pouch cells because they require a substantially large, heavy case. As Sandy Munro points out, the exterior case for pouch cells has to provide structure which adds a lot of weight and no energy.
    • Hummer EV - too big, too many moving parts, too impractical even on USA streets much less everywhere else.
    • Nikola - one fraud does not justify a second one.
    If others choose to invest in GM, I'm not here to throw dirt at them. Just those investors will have to walk that path without me. After all, GM crushed and then tossed away their lead, the EV1, which inspired the founders of Tesla almost two decades ago.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

Maybe GM has finally gotten it together, but this company has a very long history of taking opportunities and thoroughly f***ing them up.

bwilson4web and ericy like this.
  4. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

That's kind of my objection - they have spent years making bad choices. The old saying is that even a blind squirrel can find a nut sometimes - I want to see evidence that they are making and selling better vehicles and making better choices.

5. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Cruise Automation is the only tech they have of any value. But it's hard to pinpoint it's value in $$$, as it requires knowing two current unknowns. When will they reach level 4 and 5, and what the systems build cost is?

6. Bruce M.

Indeed. The company that gave us the Chevy Vega, Cadillac Cimarron and Pontiac Aztec has a very long reputation to try to unwind. It's been a while since they did something reaching that level of epic awfulness, but exceeding mediocrity remains very much a hit or miss thing with GM.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Except for the lead-acid batteries, the EV1 was pretty nice ... until the crushed them. At least it led to starting Tesla.

Bob Wilson

9. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Lol - I had an office-mate in grad school who had a Vega (with the aluminum engine block). There was also the "8-6-4" engine. And the Oldsmobile diesel fiasco. But those go back many years.

Most of the GM cars these days don't have those types of obvious glaring engineering fails, but achieving mediocrity seems to be a part of the corporate culture.

Take the Bolt for example - from an engineering perspective is has no major faults (not like the Leaf with the lack of active cooling). The specs are sort of OK, but not very exciting, and it could work for some people.

But most of GM's lineup is giant SUVs and giant pickups. If you went by what they advertised on TV, you would have no idea that they made anything other than this. From a business perspective, I guess it makes sense - profit margins on those things is higher. But if that isn't what you want, you never set foot in a GM dealer where you might find out about something that perhaps is more like what you would want. Even then, the smaller cars usually have limited options - the salespeople use this as an opportunity to try and upsell you to a giant SUV that has a better selection of options.

Even some of the new EV offerings that are in the pipeline baffle me. The Hummer brand is so polarizing and toxic that it amazes me that this is what they chose to resurrect. And it is yet another giant SUV.

bwilson4web likes this.
  10. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Electrifying the Hummer brand is solely to ensure GM don't canabalize sales of their current ICE offerings.

Is there a market of willing buyers for the Hummer? Who knows.

11. Bruce M.

I will say that the Cadillac Lyriq looks like it might have potential. I hope GM doesn't f*** it up.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

There is this shill stuff trying to say tbe big 2.5 are surging in the stock market. Its complete nonsense save for the fossil fuel industry trying to pull its own change by spending money it won't have trying to part of its retail equipment line from decapitalizing. Someone was posting o here that they thought ICE would be 20% in 2050. Ah, no, ICE is a felony in 2050- can only be started with a special limited permit for museam peaces. He needs to accept as fact (even as its still in progress) that ICE is already dead. Even a Trump win won't keep it alive. Even green peace (which is ignoring supposedly progressive Dems taking of fossil fuel money while saying they don't) has figured out its just about fossil fuels thieving through subsidies and is calling that out.