Is fast charging a hoax?

Discussion in 'General' started by InsdE, Dec 9, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. InsdE

InsdE New Member

In my experience charging speeds are MUCH lower than what manufacturers specify.

I own a Hyundai Ioniq5 AWD with 72kWh battery.
    According to Hyundai specifications the car can charge from 10 - 80% in 18 minutes. That is equivalent to 180 kW charging power. And that is why I bought this car.

In practice this turns out to be a hoax - most high power (350kW) stations I have used charge roughly at 50-60 kW. One exception sofar: Fastned in the Netherlands charged at 120 kW. Even that is nowhere near what the car should be able to do.

I wonder what experience other EV drivers have with charging their cars.

Would it be useful to start a poll on this issue?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

See if you can make a slow motion video about your car’s charging curve (everyone!) This will give you a baseline and help others understand and/or share solutions.

Bob Wilson

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I do believe the fast charging numbers are hype. It's what I consider a big lie in the EV industry. Saying a car has a 250 kW charge rate is smoke and mirrors if it only maintains that for a short period of the charging curve. Of course there's also the issue of whether or not DCFC chargers are outputting enough power to even get higher speeds.

I admire my MINI Cooper SE's "fast" charging even though it's only 50 kW. When I do DCFC it actually sustains 48 kW for much of the charging curve, up until about 85% SoC. And since it's got such a small battery pack I still can get to 80% SoC in about 20 minutes.

But what would be really nice to see is some sort of testing of real-world charging curves, sort of like from this article on IONIQ 5 charging (hint to publications like Consumer Reports).

upload_2022-12-9_9-44-31.png

(Personally I consider this chart an example of hype, the sustained charge rate is far below the advertised rate of 350 kW.)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
  5. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

insightman likes this.
  6. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    It's not a hoax. Under the right conditions, people do get those speeds with an Ioniq 5. Unfortunately, many times you don't have those conditions. The biggest issue is temperature. Another big one are the chargers themselves. What temperature was it when you were charging at? What country are you in?

If you want to call it misleading, disappointing, etc, I can agree with that. When I heard about the charging speeds of the Ioniq 5, I thought to myself that it might be the EV I was waiting for so that I would not have to worry about long charging times for road trips. But then I heard about all of the conditions that had to be met and that changed my mind.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

In InsideEVs' Ioniq 5 forum, you wrote:
    Did you see other vehicles at the Ionity charging station that were able to charge at higher rates than 50 kW? If so, then it's your Ioniq 5 that's having the problem.