Ioniq 5 charging speed

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by iluvscuba, Jun 7, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. iluvscuba

iluvscuba Active Member

Domenick and electriceddy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I shall call that: "Fast"

4. This is where the Ionic 5 really shines.:)
    Thanks for the video link.

5. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

This is why I am interested in the Ioniq 5 over the Kona EV.

6. This is basically why the I5/EV6 render the ID.4 and Mach E kind of irrelevant to me, which might be foolish thinking (particularly because they at least have proper paint colors -_-). The funny thing being that I'd probably use DCFC all of a half dozen times a year. Maybe a dozen.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    mho and Domenick like this.
  9. Do any of the batteries actually achieve 350 kW?

10. AFAIK The I5 charges faster than any other production vehicle except the Taycan and Teslas (as far as I'm aware), and it averages faster (and gets to 80% faster) than them (on account of a more aggressive charging curve, it appears. Hyundai must be super confident in their battery pack and BMS). The I5's average charging rate is faster than the ID.4's or Mach-E's peak rates.

11. At 350 kW advertised it is the fastest. Taycan is next at 270 kW. But under what conditions does it achieve 350?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Electra

Electra Active Member

I don't think it was advertised 350 kW was the peak charging speed. I think they advertised the charging time was done at a 350 kW charger. Actual peak charging speed is around 230 kW for the larger battery.

Domenick and ScubaSteve like this.
  14. Yes, just read it again, and you're right. I misunderstood that to mean that was its peak charging speed.
    "When charging with a 350-kW DC fast charger, it can be charged to 80% in just 18 minutes and a 5-minute charge will give you a range of up to 100km. One full charge will give this vehicle a predicted range of 470-480km*. "

hwitten and Electra like this.
  15. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

Hyundai are also stating that even on a typical 400V charging station, the I5 will charge 15% quicker. This is due to the internal boost up to 800V. i.e. if a 50Kw charge takes 30 minutes, the I5, on the same station, will take 25 minutes.

16. Also, the nominal peak rate can be misleading. The average rate is more important (exactly why we see such wild divergence in the charging curves I don't know, but the I5's seems to be pretty aggressive)

17. Mark Richards

Mark Richards Member

I have a Bolt and have only used DCFC 5 times in 48,000 miles. BUT, if I had a car that charged faster, I'd probably do it far more.

elfrocampeador likes this.