Instead of years in the future, a JCW Mini BEV model may be in just months

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Texas22Step, Mar 26, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

"When we saw the first photos (see below) with the Mini John Cooper Works Electric, we thought we are going to see the final product later this decade. This new teaser image suggests the official debut could be coming in the next few months, so stay tuned for more details as we learn them."

Photos of prototype on test too ...

https://www.motor1.com/news/496614/mini-electric-jcw-teaser/

polyphonic likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

polyphonic likes this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

That explains all those extra LEDs in that dark, unfocused photo.

I love Bradley Brownell's reference to Colin Chapman's famous motto ("simplify and add lightness") when he wrote, "Everything from the center gauges to the steering wheel have been yanked out and remade in carbon fiber to simplify and add, well, you know."

MichaelC likes this.
  5. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

The MINIac got his hands on video:

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Puppethead

I love the nose design, but not necessarily the color.

8. insightman

Bernd Körber: "No, you can't have a 2022 body. Here, take this old press car. Oh, and while you're at it, fill the fake hood scoop slot with LEDs--can't have too many LEDs, right?"

upload_2021-3-29_23-53-4.png

Attached Files:

GvilleGuy likes this.
  9. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I secretly want those LEDs. Of course I'm also scheduled to wrap all gray and yellow with this so I'm not the most inconspicuous person.

MichaelC likes this.
  10. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

MichaelC likes this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Lol. With BRG I would avoid red. But how I loved that show and KITT!

13. insightman

Motoringfile has a new teaser on the all-electric MINI GP.

"The key difference of course will be the drivetrain. Replacing the 306 HP four cylinder will be an iteration of the electric drivetrain found in the Cooper SE. We expect MINI to push the output upward but our sources couldn’t confirm any output targets. However it’s a safe bet it won’t reach the same performance levels as the petrol powered GP. At least not in this iteration."

No word on how they'll maintain even 110 miles of EPA range with a more powerful motor. Perhaps they'll use the MINI E as their model and replace the rear seats with a larger battery? Will that bump the SE's weight up to a couple of tons? IMO, a more powerful SE will make sense only if lighter, more advanced batteries become available to maintain the current weight.

"Given the debut of the next generation MINI coming in late 2022 we expect the all electric JCW GP to debut sometime later this year and go on sale in 2022 in very limited quantities. This first ever electric JCW GP will not only serve as the JCW brand’s first all electric offering but fitting farewell to the F56 platform."

I wasn't aware the next-gen MINI was coming in late 2022. I don't stay tuned to MINI news as much as I used to before I took delivery of my wonderful SE.

14. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I thought 2023 was the new generation. So to me late 2022 makes sense. The F56 has been around since 2013 so definitely time for a refresh.

15. insightman

So MINI created a new set of body and interior parts for just the F56's final model year?

16. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

I think this is a problem of model year vs actual year. My guess is that 2022 and 2023 model years will be the latest F56 LCI, with the 2024 model year the next-gen (going on sale sometime in 2023).

insightman, MichaelC and GvilleGuy like this.
  17. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

The F56 has had refreshes a few times. While the grille and loss of fog lights, looks big, the new parts are likely swappable for older making it not as much of a change as we think. The infotainment was bigger. From my understanding the F56 wasn't supposed to last this long and I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the same things in the 2023 as the 2022. I expect bigger exterior changes beyond plastic to occur.

That's not my understanding from articles. They are calling it the 2023 model
    https://www.motoringfile.com/2019/03/14/all-we-know-about-the-2023-4th-generation-mini/

18. Puppethead

Very possible, the GP never has a back seat.

19. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe they'd go through the trouble of an LCI for a single model year, but who knows. It would explain why they're already spying test mules for the G56. And I guess they'll keep using the new front end on the 4 door and convertible for another year or two, so it's not all wasted effort if they do launch the next gen as a 2023 model.

20. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I honestly am not sure about even that for the exterior. Maybe it will be similar but there is question if it will even be a clambshell bonnet. The front ends are really not that difficult to swap out within the F56 years. Could be ideas are similar between the grilles and the interiors too. I know the body itself will be quite changed from what we've seen, but doesn't mean they didn't keep similar grille specs or the like to make an easy transition.

I do think the forced delay in a new model made this F56 weirder as they were trying to get changes in, but had to hold, in terms of interior at lest. Exterior I am pretty sure is easily swappable.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  21. Puppethead

I think the LCI is more about moving the SE technology throughout every model, with the added change to the front end and improved accent lighting. The digital display (binnacle) and the side lighting (which replaces fog lights) originated with the SE, plus standardizing on the 8.8" touch screen. These are things that could carry over to next-gen design fairly easily I'd think.

No sign yet of an update for Clubman or Countryman, though.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  22. Puppethead

I retract my previous comment. I'm currently driving a 2021 Cooper S Hardtop loaner and it has the digital binnacle and LED headlights, but not the new body style. So that means MINI's been updating the technology even before the body redesign.

And for extra fun, it's a manual transmission, so I've gone from one-pedal to three-pedal driving. I've still got my manual transmission skills, but my left foot is weak and it's weird mentally to use both feet and all those pedals.

HappyKafka and GvilleGuy like this.