Installing Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror With Homelink

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by jayc1358, Feb 11, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. jayc1358

jayc1358 Member

I have been waiting to install one of these since I bought the car and I wasn't able to get it on the EX Trim. Thanks to this forum I was able to find a mirror that works. Installed it today. If you are looking to do install one, this is how:

Robert Lewis likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Robert Lewis

Robert Lewis Member

Very helpful video, thank you. Couple of quick questions having not done something like this before. Did you have any issues running the wire from the mirror to the compartment above the light/sunglasses holder console? Any tips on that? On the grounding screw - you just screwed a hole into the roof? Any additional info you can give on that part?

Thanks again - very helpful.

4. jayc1358

jayc1358 Member

There is plenty of space to run the wire. I just pushed it through and it was fine. There is no place to ground the wire. There is no screw in there to attach it. I did add a screw but if you are going to do that be very careful. Use a very short screw and attach it to the part that bumps out. Do not put it any place else as that is your roof and you don't want to go through that! You do need to ground it somehow. Perhaps find a different place but I did not see anywhere else

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Robert Lewis likes this.
  5. Robert Lewis

Robert Lewis Member

Good to know there's plenty of room to get the wire through. Regarding the ground - that was my main concern - that this is the roof of the car and I don't want to go through it. That part that bumps out - I'm assuming that's not the actual roof, since there is no corresponding 'dip' on the outside, so yeah, I can see how that would be a bit safer. I got my mirror ordered from Ebay yesterday, so looking forward to the project. Thanks again.

6. Robert Lewis

Robert Lewis Member

Just did this install today. Mirror works great, install was about 45 minutes from start to finish - ended up being much easier than I thought! Thanks for the video again - it was very helpful. Also thanks to the other forum member spazstic for the pics. By the way, my Niro had the bolt in the roof, so I was able to ground using that instead of having to screw into the roof area.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Fyoung55

Fyoung55 New Member

One of the wires in the lighting harness has to be a ground wire right? Could we use that? Any one know which color is ground?