Infotainment system no longer informs me about text messages received

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Oct 24, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I realized that lately, my car does not inform me about incoming text messages while driving.. I get informed of Whatsapp messages and Facebook Messenger messages but I no longer receive notification of text messages.. Is this a setting somewhere in the infotainment system to turn that notification back on or is it something related to Android Auto.. My phone is always connected via USB cable, so Android Auto comes on at that point.. How do I turn this back on?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. If you're using Android auto, it could be a permission setting in Android, or Android auto. Check the permission settings for Android auto in the Android system preferences under apps and permissions.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

4. FloridaSun

Checked and permission for SMS is on...

5. FloridaSun

Just wanted to also mention that I can also send test messages with Android Auto but the issue is that I'm not notified when a text message arrives.

6. FloridaSun

I set all the permissions off and then on again and now it seems to work.. Weird.. settinga were correct but still didn't notify me.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. EnerG

EnerG Active Member

This might be related to a recent Google Assistant update. I found I was having trouble using What's App. I opened the permissions and accept several terms and am good to go.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

9. FloridaSun

Just missed another text message.. interestingly, if i text myself, the notification pops up but if my wife texts me, it does not pop up.. weird..

10. FloridaSun

It appears that the system only mutes messages from my wife.. I must have accidentally "muted" the conversation with her.. Now, how do I unmute it?? When a SMS pops up, it gives you the option to open or to mute conversation and I must have tapped "mute conversation". How can I undo that?

11. Are you sure you want to unmute it?...:D

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. We believe you;)

14. Plebman

Plebman New Member

You can replace the Infotainment system with Android Auto, or you can get a mechanic to fix this problem, or you can use FM WhatsApp Apk.

15. FloridaSun

The problem is with Android Auto.. This is not an issue with the Kona but Android Auto..
    At one point, I accidentally selected MUTE CONVERSATION instead of reading the message..
    Since that time, I can't get notified of text messages on android auto from my wife only.. There seems to be no way to unmute.
    It seems to have nothing to do with the car. It's tied to my google account.. If I use a different phone number and google account, I can get messages from my wife but not when my phone is connected and logged on with my google account, het messages don't pop up. So, the blocking of her messages seems to be tied to either my phone number or google account. It's not related to my phone as I changed phones earlier this year and the problem persists.. Whatsapp messages work.. Only her text messages are blocked.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  16. I assume you're trying Android auto forums as well? I am sure there is probably people with more knowledge than us about this issue. And I would definitely assume you're not the first having that problem. I was able to stop my finger from doing the exact same thing you did before. Nope I am very cautious with that.

17. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Is she reading this forum??

_H*

18. FloridaSun

I've searched all android/developer forums and found others with the same issue but no solution... It appears that once you mute a conversation, you can never unmute it. I'm not 100% sure if the muted numbers are associated with my phone number or my google account.. I will try to log on with my wife's google account and see if this makes a difference..

19. FloridaSun

Update: Just found a potential solution.. Switching the default messenger app on my phone should fix the issue..

20. Oh, and then possibly switch it back?

21. FloridaSun

I switched from Samsung Messenger to Google Messenger and it's working.. Tried to switch back and it won't work... So, it's definitely an issue with Samsung messenger.. Google Messenger works perfect with Android Auto..

22. Interesting. I only use google messenger, so wondering if it would have the same problem or if it's just a samsung messenger issue.

23. FloridaSun

It's easy enough to try.. Just set your Samsung messenger as default messenger and then ask your wife to send you a text.. Once you receive the text on the Kona, tap on MUTE CONVERSATION.. Unless you will switch back to google messenger, you will never be notified of your wife's text messages in the Kona.. You'll still get notified on your phone when it's not connected to the Kona, just not when you are using Android Auto.. At least that was my experience.. No issues now with Google Messenger..