Industrial Survey on Experiences of Home EV Charging Units

Discussion in 'General' started by roccolouie, Jan 18, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. roccolouie

roccolouie New Member

Hello everyone,
    I am currently working as part of an industrial project to design a new EV charging unit. We have created this survey to get an idea of what users value in their current products and what they would like to see in future models. Please take 2 minutes to complete this survey as it would really help towards project success.
    Thanks

See survey below;
    https://forms.gle/348RBMEEVtzT4Jgo8

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Another survey? Reading this forum will give you all the answers you need: low-cost, weatherproof, selectable amperage, reliable operation, reliable communications, easy programmability, and open-source code for control. Responsive customer service and a pleasant-looking design might help sales, too.

SSpiffy and interestedinEV like this.
  4. Is there compensation for respondents?

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

It would be better if the survey questions were posted as 'bullet' lines in a post. That approach would gain more eyes and pithy comments.

The survey gave the impression they wanted confirmation of a preconceived bias.

Bob Wilson

6. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Most surveys seemed geared towards confirming some bias. Sometimes it is intentional, other times it is not. If you aren’t aware of your own biases, you are going to create a poor survey.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

A better survey:
    1. What home charger(s) do you use?
    2. How do they connect to power?
    3. What would you like to see improved in your units?
    4. What turned out to be not so good in your units?
    Taking my own medicine:
    1. I have two JuiceBox 40 Pro and the portable Tesla charger carried in the car.
    2. The JuiceBoxes connect to NEMA 14-50, outdoor outlets rated at 40 A. One is at home and no problems. The other at a favorite pharmacy and had one socket melt down.
    3. It should have a built-in WiFi/Bluetooth web interface to manage the unit and see the last ~100 charging events and equipment log. There should be an open, read-only interface so users can monitor the EVSE status. There should be an optional, additional cell data interface that can be retrofitted. A weather and light proof container for an owner note to users. Optional coin slot to operate the unit. Optional longer and shorter J1772 cables with field screw/bolt on interface to logic box. Extra credit if the cables can be used as J1772 extension cords.
    4. The plug should have temperature sensor(s) and stop the charging when it exceeds 100 C (212 F) to prevent NEMA 14-50 meltdown and reset when down to 50 C (122 F.) Loss of temperature sensor should generate a 'vandalism' alert. Also, the J1772 cable strain relief is weak allowing the shelf to separate at the box. The WiFi/Bluetooth antenna should be capacitive coupled to the power lines. The J1772 latch should have a mechanical over-strain relief making it very, very difficult to break when a strong but stupid person abuses it. J1772 rubber bumpers or coating to prevent impact damage. A screw/bolt system that allows J1772 plug replacement with only having to cut and strip the cable conductors.
    Wha'ca think?

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
    GetOffYourGas likes this.
  9. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I would add a couple more items like UL listed, and the ability to disconnect the charging cable and run it though the wall of the garage and reconnect it.

bwilson4web likes this.