In addition to the Buick Bolt based Encore, what will GM's next EV be?

Discussion in 'Chevrolet' started by BeckhamTobias, Mar 14, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. BeckhamTobias

BeckhamTobias New Member

While we all want a SUV like the Equinox, I believe it's just too soon and if that were the case, why even bother creating an EV the size of an Encore? The Bolt was originally based on the Encore/Sonic platform and evolved into it's own platform so the next generation Encore/Sonic could be based on the Bolt's platform...The Encore EV is FWD only so that tells me GM need doesn't want to mess with the drive-train or the platform...If this is true, beyond a Spark EV 2.0, there's only one other platform that is an semi-EV...The Cruze/Volt...First, I know what you're thinking, no one is buying sedans...While there is a lot of decline, the best selling non-pickup trucks in the USA are the Camry and Accord...I live in California, Honda touts Civic ads that state the Civic is the best selling CAR in the state of California...To add to my speculation, since the Encore EV is based off the Bolt's platform will be built at the Orion factory, so you'd presume its companion vehicle would also be built there...Interestingly, the Buick Verano which is a Cruze based compact sedan was being built in that very factory but the entire car was discontinued for 2018 leaving a compact sedan void in Buick's lineup...I know many will wonder how will they fit 60kWh of batteries into the Volt, but they did that already for the Spark (smaller battery and car) and GM does like to put a lot of battery in where the gas tank location would be...Seems far easier to EV the semi-EVed-Volt than it would for something brand new like an Equinox...

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GM just held its EV Day and showed the invited -- journalists, investors, etc -- 10 vehicles it's currently planning on bringing. The first of those coming is the refreshed Bolt, which features a hugely improved interior, planned for this fall. The next thing coming is the Bolt EUV, next summer, which is a bit larger Bolt, basically. Next is the GMC Hummer EV set for late 2021. That is followed by the Cadillac Lyriq in early 2022. This is all we were told about the timeline.

There was also on hand a Chevy crossover SUV that appeared to be based on the same platform as Lyric. I suspect it would arrive very shortly after Lyric. There was a Buick on this platform as well as a smaller Buick crossover.